Need advice on my new smoking shelf

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
I've rearranged my bookcase to allow use of the top two shelves for pipes and tobacco. It's a work in progress and I definitely need a rack.

I have a couple of questions:
The tobacco shelf will be exposed to some sunlight. Would it be a good idea to find a way to keep it in the dark somehow, like a custom curtain?
I realize a need to have jar labels put on the side. Do you guys use a label maker or make print outs with your computer? I would imagine the label maker being more costly but it would be more legible and durable, also easier to take off in case I need to change them around.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

I would do my best to keep those jars out of sunlight. As far as labels go, I just use a post it note secured with a piece of clear tape. Long term storage jars I write on the lid with a Sharpie.

I would second the suggestion to keep your jars out of direct sunlight. There are many write-ups on why this is so by much more reputable folks than myself, but the message is the same. I tend to prefer the wider jars like you have on the bottom. To me they seem more similar to tins, and I just kind of prefer them aesthetically. To that end, I tend to label the lids, not the face of the jar and I do so with printer-friendly Avery labels. They seem to hold up really well, and I'm a big believer that if the jar gets reused,mybu should clean the glass thoroughly and replace the lids if not the bands as well. That's my 2 cents anyway.

That's a nice looking collection of tobacco and pipes, BB. With regard to the tobacco, I've stored mine in either the cupboards or drawers of a buffet I've had for a number of years, so they've always been shielded from the light, but I'm not sure it's a necessity, other than maybe keeping it out of direct sunlight. For labels, I've used either mailing labels or, cheaper still, those round white seals for envelopes. I just write the name of the blend (e.g. "Margate", as there's rarely any confusion about the manufacturer, unless it's something like Navy Flake) and the month and year that I purchased it, and stick it on the seal of the jar (it doesn't hurt to replace the seals when you clean and refill a jar to ensure that they're airtight anyway). Some people get all fancy and either carefully remove and reapply the factory labels, or even reproduce them on a color printer, but as much as the tin art appeals to me, I don't go to that length.

It's always difficult to make efficient use of the vertical space on a shelf when storing jars. I favor the squat 8 oz Ball jars like those you have in the bottom row, and they aren't known for stacking very well. I had mine stacked 2 high 3 wide and 4 deep in the cupboard, but it was a nerve-racking experience trying to keep them all from crashing down when I went digging around toward the back, so I moved them to a shallow drawer, leaving only unopened tins in the cupboards. A careless bump or a curious cat can quickly turn a shelf stacked with jars of your favorite blends into a couple pounds of floor sweepings and broken glass.

I use the labels they sell for Ball Mason Jars. I think there are 60 to a pack and they come off easily in water. So when I clean a jar to reuse it it is easy to get the label off.

yes, both tobacco and vulcanite are adversely affected by sunlight

Thanks for that suggestion Kirk but some of my pipes are suitable for closed stem racks. I'll need to find one wit open stem.

I would place a piece of felt under the pipes.
They'll be more comfortable, and happier.

bentbulldog":cwyrerof said:
Thanks for that suggestion Kirk but some of my pipes are suitable for closed stem racks. I'll need to find one wit open stem.
Well, you could pick up .25" dowel and peg that "collector series" to the back wall. If you want an easy/temporary solution, you could pick up a 3/4x4" board. I think the big box places even have it in various hardwoods. Draw a l line 1.5" in and mark the distance between you desire for a inch or so spade bid (Forstner better) to drill holes along the length. Saw down the line. You now have a 'u' on each piece. The smaller mounts to the cabinet wall the lower is spaced out from the wall to make a stall for containing the pipe. Not ideal but easy to do. The big box store also carry an easy to use combination stain/finish in small cans that'd give you nice coloring. You'd want to try spacing with your bents and straights to get the best compromise. If you are handy with a chisel, you could taper the side a bit on the lower piece. Another board and a couple of turned spindles would make it all movable. This isn't perfect but it sure will get you by inexpensively until you find just what you want.

As has been pointed out by others, sunlight is NOT your friend whwn it comes to 'bac storage and ebonite so you might want to find some way to change the shelving units relationship to that window and direct sunlight. If those jars are long term cellaring 'bacs, I'd put 'em in a drawer or closet, out of light and just keep out on the shelf what you are currently smoking and most assuredly get a rack or racks for those pipes :twisted:

Take a serious look at monbla256 rack in the picture above. It would be easy to fabricate. Small dimension hardwoods are available at many big box home centers. You could really build a darn nice rack for a rather modest price.

Kirk Fitzgerald":epfzibdw said:
bentbulldog":epfzibdw said:
Ah right, you mean this sort of thing then: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wooden-Stand-Rack-Holder-For-9-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipes-Hand-Made-/281018101349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416dfbee65
Aw man that is just Perfect, if only it weren't so darn expensive and in another country. I may have to take a trip to my local craft stores and get creative.

It's not just a good idea to keep the toby out of direct sunlight but your pipes as well. From prior reading the sunlight directly on the stems will help them to....stupid word won't come to mind.....well the jist is how the black turns to a brown color on you, yeah that happens faster is they are left in direct sunlight too. Man it is going to drive me nuts until I figure out the word and I was just talking about it to another pipe smoker not a week ago. Atomize...euthanize...somethingize....crud. I'll remember it later I am sure. Anyhow I keep my pipes out of direct sunlight too except when I am smoking them.

As far as labels I just buy the small envelope labels and write the bland, weight (if it is a set weight in there), date jarred, and for custom blends where I got it from. Those labels are liek 2.5"x1" or so so they work perfect for the little bit of writing I need to do. If you write legibly they work just fine (for me anyhow). If you have a doctor's writing you could always torment the Mrs. to write them out for you. The I stick them to the lid of my canning jar, although they'd probably come off the jar itself much easier in the future. If you have a decent printer there's probably some fancy setting to do these for you. Anyhow here's a link to the labels.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-White-Inkjet-Laser-Address-Labels/product_SS989783

Harlock999":t24r7hvp said:
Oxidize... 8)
Ya know I had completely forgotten about the word until I saw the alert for the thread in my email, then to word popped into my head. And of course someone had already said it...thanks Harlock that's the one.