Need an inexpensive pipe rack sollution!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
My pipes and tobacco are crammed into a few small plastic drawers under my printer. I need to make more room so that I can get to my tobacco more easily.

I have a bookshelf that I can clear 2 shelves off. Plenty of room for tobacco, but I have 24 pipes, most of the online pipe racks are too big and they're way too expensive.

I need to find a way to fit 24 pipes, 3 of which are churchwardens, NICELY and NEATLY :) into a 28"x11.5"x12" bookshelf. Id also prefer open stem and avoid type of racks where you have to put the stem through the hole

Anyone have any suggestions?

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-20PCS-Simple-Practical-Transparent-Plastic-Z-Shape-Smoking-Pipe-Stand-Rack-/130899422063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7a36ab6f

There's plenty on ebay, look under the category Tobacciana, then type pipe stand into the search field. Lots to choose from. Set them up on your bookshelf and set up your pipes.

Or, save up to get a used Decatur wooden rack, mount it on the wall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Decatur-36-Tobacco-Pipes-Pipe-Rack-Walnut-Original-Surface-NR-/310660147513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4854c9a939

bb, I have 4 of these style racks, and I love them, as they can be hung on a wall, or set flat on a table or shelf. They work for virtually all of my pipes, except the chubby nosewarmers. Best of all, it can be had for around $55 including shipping.

The actual dimensions 26in long by 12 and 10/16ths tall by 4in deep. are just barely out of your requirements though. Instead of placing it on a shelf, you might need to hang it on a wall instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROFILE-PIPE-RACK-18-PIPES-UNIQUE-DESIGN-HAND-MADE-/121101161436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c323113dc

Here is a pic of one of mine, displaying pipes from 5 to 16 inches in length.....

bentbulldog":unkq8kh8 said:
My pipes and tobacco are crammed into a few small plastic drawers under my printer. I need to make more room so that I can get to my tobacco more easily.

I have a bookshelf that I can clear 2 shelves off. Plenty of room for tobacco, but I have 24 pipes, most of the online pipe racks are too big and they're way too expensive.

I need to find a way to fit 24 pipes, 3 of which are churchwardens, NICELY and NEATLY :) into a 28"x11.5"x12" bookshelf. Id also prefer open stem and avoid type of racks where you have to put the stem through the hole

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sounds like you know what you want. Build one.

I wish I hadn't could hawker, I don't have the equipment or workspace.

Dutch":2s8owqas said:
I bought one of these a long time ago and I gave it away because a) it's pine, and b) it's put together with a nail gun. A 7th grade shop class project would be put together better than this rack.

broganswoodcraft is the name of an eBay seller who makes hardwood racks constructed as well as you could hope for out of oak, cherry and walnut. He does racks from 12 to 40, you just have to keep an eye on his listings. I have a 40 pipe cherry rack from him, and generations after I'm gone someone else will be using it for their pipes. It's beautiful and I paid like $75 for it. I would keep an eye on his eBay listings, it's the best quality pipe rack I've ever seen and the price is great. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

That Decatur rack didn't seem that pricy until I saw: Shipping: $38.05

Why do people do this? I am sure UPS would take it for a third the price. On one hand you have Amazon and free shipping and then you have the sites where you go to buy something and then encounter the shipping from hell pricing. Even if I want something, it makes me disconnect and look elsewhere.

I made my own, and will be making another one shortly, I could make you one that all you would have to do is screw or glue it together upon arrival, and I would only charge the price for shipping. let me know.

I bought mine from broganswoodcraft as well.

Very reasonable price for the quality.

where's the Like button? Now that's a pipe rack. I love mine.

Here are a few ideas with lexan. The 12 pipe stand is only 12x5 and you can go as high as you like.

MIKE

my concern over a setup like that is the stress it places on the mortise and tenon over time

sisyphus":0oh5d8dk said:
my concern over a setup like that is the stress it places on the mortise and tenon over time
+1

I don't think I could put up with that.

Some of those petes and kaywoodies have been hanging by the stem for over 30 years with no problems. MIKE

can someone post a link to the broganswoodcraft ebay page I can't freakin find it!

Here is a link to a past listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISPLAY-ALL-YOUR-FAVORITE-PIPES-ON-THIS-PIPE-RACK-HOLDS-36-PIPES-ALL-OAK-/190807050470?ViewItem=&item=190807050470&nma=true&si=v9BoorqUWH3cXzHQsFJBIhAXZLA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is his myworld page

http://myworld.ebay.com/broganswoodcraft/

When I was looking for a pipe rack I found his information and saved him as a seller. I got an email when he listed a couple of pipe racks and bout one of them.

He doesn't put them up very often.

sisyphus":ctggkpwe said:
Dutch":ctggkpwe said:
I bought one of these a long time ago and I gave it away because a) it's pine, and b) it's put together with a nail gun. A 7th grade shop class project would be put together better than this rack.

broganswoodcraft is the name of an eBay seller who makes hardwood racks constructed as well as you could hope for out of oak, cherry and walnut. He does racks from 12 to 40, you just have to keep an eye on his listings. I have a 40 pipe cherry rack from him, and generations after I'm gone someone else will be using it for their pipes. It's beautiful and I paid like $75 for it. I would keep an eye on his eBay listings, it's the best quality pipe rack I've ever seen and the price is great. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
sisyphus, I actually like the fact that the pine construction keeps the overall weight of the entire rack down to a minimum. Also, the design of this rack is very versatile. Hardwoods are not universally a superior material, simply because they are heavier and more durable. Were I interested in buying a handle for a shovel, hammer, or nightstick, I would agree that pine or other softwoods would be inferior. Another example are the arrows I buy to shoot from my longbows and recurves. While heavier and more durable hardwoods are available, I prefer to shoot port orford cedar for their straightness and overall lightweight.

As for the nails, they are minimal, and underneath the bottom of the rack, and not noticeable at all.

I do remember seeing your negative ebay feedback left for fac55. Out of 653 positive feedback ratings, you were the only one to leave him negative feedback. If I remember correctly the exact words were, "think monkey with a nail gun."

and I stick by that today. Yes, I was pissed that I had spent that kind of money on a shoddily made, horrendously finished pine rack that was falling apart in the shipping box because it was put together in the fastest, cheapest possible way. It is the worst possible pipe rack. I understand you wanting to defend that thing because you're mad you paid that kind of money for a pine rack that someone put together with a nail gun. Get back to me when you're able to compare that thing to one made by Francis Brogan and we'll see if you're still so willing to defend it.

My description is right on the money, whether you choose the monkey with a nail gun or seventh grade shop class project metaphor.

here's the Brogan rack I own that I should have bought in the first place. I have some pipes out getting restored, sorry about the empty spaces.
rack.jpg

SPUD 15":nbvn0itx said:
Some of those petes and kaywoodies have been hanging by the stem for over 30 years with no problems. MIKE
I have some pipes that have done the similar. Of course they have been hanging from my mouth. Seems we'd be afraid to smoke them for fear of tenon damage if that were a worry. LOL

I find it interesting that we got to this point in a thread asking for an inexpensive solution.