Need Help Evaluating Antique Mall Find ("Wellington")

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this in a local antique mall after my doctor appointment today. Anyone have any experience with Wellington pipes? I didn't buy it, just managed to snap some pics.

The cake was not oppressive, stem was pretty foggy but unbroken. I was not able to separate the stem easily, so I gave up trying. I thought it was neat that it had a Plip style button, though it was not the same in appearance as a Peterson.

(note: this is a beastly big pipe!)

Attachments

• 20230711_143018.jpg
    20230711_143018.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230711_143253.jpg
    20230711_143253.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230711_143315.jpg
    20230711_143315.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Look in pipepedia for "WDC" which is William DeMuth & Company. WDC made a slew of various sized "Wellington-styled" pipes, as did other companies. And, yes, they used P-Lips as did many other companies also! It's probably a pretty good smoking briar. Roughly a century old, give or take!! FWIW, FTRPLT

I owned one; I may be mistaken but I think the hole came straight out through the button, not on top like a Peterson. But hey, it was a long time ago. Good smoking pipe as I recall. Mine was about the same size as a typical System Pete; some of them were really huge.

I owned one; I may be mistaken but I think the hole came straight out through the button, not on top like a Peterson. But hey, it was a long time ago. Good smoking pipe as I recall. Mine was about the same size as a typical System Pete; some of them were really huge.
The hole did come out the top, but the whole end was rounded, as opposed to the Peterson version, which has some ridges to give the end some form. I should have taken a picture of that part.

Lotta these on eBay. New…NIB…NOS…etc. Same money ($30 - $40) but fresh. Can’t tell the grain on yours but it looks like a crossgrain, which would appeal to me. Most out there seem pretty plain. Is the stamp “real” & supposed to indicate sterling or is it “artistic” which would be disappointing.

All in all…my vote is: Meh.

Lotta these on eBay. New…NIB…NOS…etc. Same money ($30 - $40) but fresh. Can’t tell the grain on yours but it looks like a crossgrain, which would appeal to me. Most out there seem pretty plain. Is the stamp “real” & supposed to indicate sterling or is it “artistic” which would be disappointing.

All in all…my vote is: Meh.
Well, all I know is that it looks ancient, lol. I'll go back to the store in a week or two, if I still have a twitch. If it's there, good. If not, money saved.

I have had a few of these pipes, not bad smokers,but nothing special. I usually use mine as a outdoor pipe,like when doing yard work, so,If I drop it or misplace it overnight it`s no big deal.