Need help identifying please!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitsuzen

Reaction score
I recieved for Christmas this year a nice haul of estate pipes to restore, a few of them gems. Two of them I cannot for the life of me identify. Any help, or even just a push in the right direction, would be GREATLY appreciated! Here are some pics.

Hitsuzen, you can post your pics on a hosting site such as Photobucket, and then cut and paste the code into your post. On Photobucket, the code is the IMG code in the bottom box, or 4th down from the top.

20151227_104333_zpso832xlxg.jpg

"Black Horse" and "ITALY" engraved on the shank.

Hmmm, worked the first time, but not the second. Let me play with this a little. Thanks Dutch.

"TOWER" engraved on shank, stem too chewed and scratched to discern any previous markings. This one is beat up, and will be a BLAST to bring back to life.

20151227_104730_zpse9cu4mx2.jpg

20151227_104804_zps0nauz2pd.jpg

20151227_104820_zpsojrlm9gv.jpg

Hitsuzen":pm134izb said:
"TOWER" engraved on shank, stem too chewed and scratched to discern any previous markings. This one is beat up, and will be a BLAST to bring back to life.
There is a Tower tobacco in Sacramento Cali, but how long it's been there I couldn't say. Might be one of their store pipes from back in the day.

eklektos44":9xqr13ol said:
Hitsuzen":9xqr13ol said:
There is a Tower tobacco in Sacramento Cali, but how long it's been there I couldn't say. Might be one of their store pipes from back in the day.
I've just sent them an email. Thank you!

eklektos44":juqseogx said:
Hitsuzen":juqseogx said:
This was going to be my guess on both these pipes. Local tobacconists sometimes contract major manufacturers to make their own "house pipes," with their own unique nomenclature.

In the late '50s early '60s Sears had a premium brand of products made for them called "Tower" after the Sears Tower headquarters. They ranged from cameras to typewriters and I remember seeing pipes with this brand on them at the tobacco counters they had in the stores. This could be one ? :twisted: :twisted:

I have somewhere a Dr Grabow with and aluminium shank and a threaded tendon bought in the 60's that looks like that. Maybe made for the Tower shop in Sacramento.

:?: