need help with a pipe I bought on a trip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andr3wrams3y

Reaction score
A few months ago, I was on a trip to the middle east and I had bought two pipes. I thoroughly inspected them to make sure they were good, quality pipes as I am a collector myself. However, I was just about ready to put a few on display on one of my three pipe stands today, I found out when I opened the box with my pipes, one was broken. The tenon of the stem is broken off and completely stuck in the shank.

Pretty much, i'm scared that i will never be able to use it again since it looks like a pretty difficult repair. think it could be salvaged? Am I better off just buying another briar? I do not know of any pipe repair places in the Vegas area.

as far as i have seen this is a fairly common mishap to many a pipe. I believe any decent pipe repairman should be able to fix it.

use google to find a local repair place, or send it away to boswells or Tinksy

both are known for good repair work

nogbert":4rnykgrb said:
as far as i have seen this is a fairly common mishap to many a pipe. I believe any decent pipe repairman should be able to fix it.

use google to find a local repair place, or send it away to boswells or Tinksy

both are known for good repair work
www.pipecraft.org

Mark ia BoB and a good guy.

andr3wrams3y":mvpcqje7 said:
no worries, boulder. I think it was bound to happen when I buy pipes outside of the States.

I was told by a buddy at the cigar store one should remove/separate the stem from bowl and lay it in place when cased or band it to pipe when shipping or transporting.

We live and learn and at least it can be fixed.

One of mine sustained a similar injury. I used a screw to get the tenon out of the shank and super glued it back together. Worked like a charm. Pipe smokes just fine, no different from before the repair.

can you do that with a super glued tenon and stem? seems like if you do that, you run the risk of setting the whole thing on fire.

I have used super glue to repair two pipes, the one I mentioned above and another that I purchased on ebay. The previous owner attempted to open the draw but his drilling was off and he drilled right through the shank. He tried to fill it but it didn't do a great job. I cleaned up the plug and sealed the whole thing with superglue.

I smoke both pipes frequently and both smoke just fine.

I wouldn't mess with trying to repair myself especially if pipe is a nice one. Fitting a new replacement tenon should be dead simple and relatively cheap at any decent repair shop. Easiest would be a replacement delrin tenon but matching the exact stem material should not be a problem although possibly a bit more dollars.

Have heard really good things about these guys---->http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/