Need help with clogged draught holes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLowlyApprentice

Reaction score
A couple of C&D tobaccos which I like, Oriental Silk and Habana Daydream, are so finely cut, I call it a “diced” ribbon cut, that, more often than not, the tobacco winds up clogging the pipe's draught hole.

The majority of my pipes use a balsa filter so there's no possibility of using a pipe cleaner midsmoke.

I sometimes have success sliding the pick on my pipe tool along the back wall of the chamber and digging around to relieve the clog, but it's not always successful.

I have also tried, sometimes with success, to blow as gently as I can to clear the draught hole, but that's a method which you can imagine is fraught with the danger of getting a lap full of ashes and burning embers or wasting a bowl of tobacco as you blow it right out of the chamber.

I don't really want to have to use a screen at the bottom of the chamber, but I have thought of filling the bottom with a courser ribbon cut tobacco.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a better way to combat this?

Also, does anyone know why C&D would need to cut these tobaccos into such small pieces? I don't get it.

Many thanks,

TLA

I have this problem when I smoke cobs and I just pack a little firmer and draw a little lighter.
Also, if there are any larger pieces of tobacco they always go in first. Or maybe just don't use a filter with these blends so you can use a cleaner to clear the airway from time to time. ;)

Yup. Certain cuts can indeed occlude the draft hole. And since you cannot use a pipe cleaner in this situation due to the filter, all I can offer is to try and pack the pipe extra loose during the first fill. Not a guarantee, but it may help.

I've also used the pipe tool pick to raise and loosen the pack during difficult draws. Usually it works, but one has to be careful. Multiple tries is often the case.

You also might try rolling the cut into a "ball" in your first load. This could help mitigate the inclusion of the smaller bits. And don't pack tight.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

One of several good reasons to not use a filter. Maybe a military bit you could pop out mid-smoke, then use a pipe cleaner?

Brewdude":ys74foa4 said:
You also might try rolling the cut into a "ball" in your first load. This could help mitigate the inclusion of the smaller bits. And don't pack tight.
I think there's a lot of mileage in this.

A short while ago there was some discussion on the board about leaving an air gap underneath the 'baccy. Using either the balling technique suggested by Rande, or a good thumb and two finger pinch, slide a plug of 'baccy into the bowl ensuring a gap is left at the bottom. There are those who champion this method as the belief is it leads to a better smoking experience, but I thought it would also solve your dilemma too.

Good luck!

Many thanks for the advice.

I'll be experimenting and will report back when, and if, I find a satisfactory solution.

TLA

Brewdude":jytgxy8p said:
Yup.... You also might try rolling the cut into a "ball" in your first load. This could help mitigate the inclusion of the smaller bits. And don't pack tight.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
Yup. With a little practice, depending on the cut, you'll get pretty good at rubbing and shaping a single ball that will expand enough to just fill a bowl leaving a wee space at the bottom to keep the air passage clear. You can also add a very small pinch of a fine ribbon cut to keep the ball together. You need to develop some touch to do this, but difficult it isn't.

Quote: wdude wrote:
Yup.... You also might try rolling the cut into a "ball" in your first load. This could help mitigate the inclusion of the smaller bits. And don't pack tight.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

The rolling the ball method has worked well for me. Also try what's known as the " FRANK " method: first two pinches similar to a gravity fill, next two pinches a slight press with a finger on the tobacco and the final fill put as much tobacco as you like and do a medium press with your finger. Also works well for me. Good Luck

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!