Need Opinions/Info on 4th Generation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
In my tobacco shop we get a lot of advertising for the 4th Generation pipe tobacco (and pipes/accessories). I know that the brand is led by Erik Stokkebye (Peter's Stokkebye's son). But I don't think I have seen anyone mention this brand on this forum. I haven't ever had anyone ask for this particular brand in my shop either.

Is it because it is newer? Is it not good? Too expensive?

I'm just curious what the general opinion is on this. Thank you in advance!

P.S. Fun side note, Max Stokkebye (Erik Stokkebye's son) is my direct Lane/Stokkebye rep. Really nice guy too. He didn't really want to get into pipes and went to college for international business (of course I asked him about it, I'm curious!). But when he really didn't find anything he was passionate about, he decided to apply himself to the family business and is starting as a regional rep.

Kaitlyn, I haven't had the opportunity to sample this one, but based on some of the online reviews I have read, it could be to my liking. It has been compared to MacBaren Navy Flake, which I partake of from time to time.

Anytime I hear about a new MacBaren product, I usually assume it to be an aro, based on the majority of their offerings. This could possibly be one reason smokers who prefer non aros have not given this one a try.

Ok, well that's good to know because I haven't tried any of their stuff yet. I might consider getting those two.

Any other guys try some of 4th Generation or have opinions about them?

I'll know more in mid October. There's a 4th Generation event at the local b&m in early October.

I am a huge fan of the 1855 Blend. It is a great straight VA. It comes as a beautiful broken flake of bright yellow Virginias, offering the smoker flavors of dried rains and honey.

Honestly, one of my favorite blends.

I think I had the 1954. It was a kind of caramel flavor wasn't bad at all. Hope that's some help. I'll see if I can dig out my notes and give you more to go on .

Jim

I really want this brand to succeed. It's Erik's own brand after parting ways with the Peter Stokkebye brand. Erik is just such a damn good dude and the Stokkebye history in tobacco is worth preserving. The thing is the current offerings just are all that spectacular. They aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but there is so much out there that is great, that good just isn't good enough.

I think you don't see too much written about it because its not worth raving over and its not worth ragging on.

juanmedusa":fleb8dga said:
I'll know more in mid October. There's a 4th Generation event at the local b&m in early October.
The local shop did have the 4th generation event and I was in attendance! Firstly, I can confirm what Dave said in terms of Erik being a good guy. He was very nice and I enjoyed talking to him. A pleasure. Now the really important stuff.

The accessories: They had accessories in versions. Black and a kind of more natural leather. To me, the natural style really appealed. It was available as a zippered tobacco pouch, a tobacco roll up, a larger bag that can accommodate several things including some pipes and tobacco. There was talk of a one pipe bag with tobacco pouch combo that has a magnetic closure coming into the shop but wasn't present at the event. Personally, I am considering making a purchase in this line. But again, not in the black.

The pipes:  They come in several shapes with each shape corresponding to a year or generation much like the tobacco offerings do. Erik explained that the pipes were made by Peder Jeppeson in Denmark. I would then imagine they are comparable in some way to Neerup pipes. I was not going to purchase a pipe at this event so I did not give an intense inspection to them but would expect them to be engineered like their comparable Neerups. Of which I have none. I did look at the shapes and finish and thought there were a couple of cool shapes and the finish and appearance of the smooths was very nice. I did not care for the exterior of the non smooth pipes personally. Not looking to buy so I didn't check prices.

The tobacco:  I have had the 1931 flake in the past and thought it was very nice. I echo the positive comments already in this thread on that one. Dutch, I'd give a tin of that a try just as a change of pace to Navy Flake if nothing else. I'd be shocked if you couldn't get through it and you may find you like it.  The blend that Neil mentioned above, 1855, I took the opportunity to sample and quite enjoyed. It had the appearance most similar to what I remember MacB's Virginia Number 1 to look like. I don't smoke that stuff by the pound like some but when I get the craving for a nice broken flake of blonde Va I'd pick up the 4th Generation offering to scratch the itch.  I also sampled the 1982 which is an aromatic blend with the addition of cubes of navy flake and scented with French Vanilla and Blackberry. This is a blend after my own heart. The aroma happened to appeal very directly to my tastes and the bit of flake in there may make it strong and interesting enough to hold my attention. I really liked the bowl of that I had but require some repeating before I know if it's as monumental to me as I hope it may be. The other tin worth mentioning is the 1897. An aromatic blend with rich vanilla and honey. It's aroma really drew me in so I have a tin to try but have smoked none as of yet.  And such is my experience with the 4th generation tobaccos, I have two aromatics which I have hope to enjoy and give me aromatic options. Further research necessary on those. And two tobaccos, the 1931 flake and the 1855 broken Virginia flake which I think are good solid tobaccos. I would at least pick them up occasionally as change of pace tins or something to send of that someone may not have tried but may enjoy.

These are my thoughts and really reflect the impressions all the offerings had on me personally. I wasn't trying to give reviews of each thing. So try not to look at it that way because frankly I did a piss poor job of that. Enjoy!