Need Recomendations!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealtorFrank

Reaction score
In need of some recommendations on tins and bulk tobacco for a fairly new pipe smoker. I have tried some of my local shops house blends, as well as some Bulls Eyed Flake, but other than that I am a newb. I am a pretty regular cigar smoker, so I am not afraid to try some stronger blends. Let em know what I should try next!

Balkan Sasieni is a great smoke at a cheap price.

The Stokkebye English mixtures are also well worth the money.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

I find GL Please - Cumberland very cigar-like. McClelland 2000 - Fragrant Mature Cake is also quite nice.

When I smoke cigars I tend to go for the well aged stuff. Unless it's already aged is sits in the humi for a couple years but typically I like stuff like Rocky Patel Vintage, Cusano 18, etc... probably why I like Cumberland so much since it's 20 year aged.

I like Orlik Golden Sliced, MacBaren's Navy Flake, Davidoff Royalty. I'm pretty new to pipe smoking, so I'm definitely still learning, and the BoB is a pretty good place to get recommendations. Ultimately, tobacco preference is such a highly personal thing that one person's all time fave could be a total dog for another. There are some blends that are clear favorites around here, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (FVF) comes to mind, and Escudo, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet, and some are hard to find.

If you find you like Virgina's I just got some bulk McClelland 2015 and already like it as one of my very top choices even over most tins. Tins I like Solani 633 a lot and it's another Virgina with some Perique in it. These for me need to be rubbed before loading the bowl, but that is just me and some like it just broke over and stuffed in. I am also liking are Escudo, Opening Night and Sunday Picnic by C&D.

Not a Flake I just opened some GLP Telegraph Hill and it's very nice also.

There are a lot more, but I can't say much about some since I have not tried them yet, like Union Square which I will try tomorrow I think.

Hope you find something that you like,

Skip

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I will start running up my tab at my local B&M!

Definetely try a tin of Escudo.

Beyond that, the Frog Morton blends are a good place to start for quality.

Matt

pipedirector":wapo2lgg said:
Definetely try a tin of Escudo.

Beyond that, the Frog Morton blends are a good place to start for quality.

Matt
What he said :D

I would also agree with the previous post that Frog Morton is very nice and probable my favorite Latakia & Virgina tobacco. On the other side every time I smoke a bowl of McClelland 2015 I am more impressed than the last. Fast becoming my favorite VaPer.

Skip

Thanks guys, I am really interested in trying the Frog Morton, as well as some of the others mention. No one locally carries it, but I have been told I can get a sampler of their blends at pipesandcigars.com

pipesandcigars has some good samplers at great price....C&D also has a smpler....sure there are other etailers that im sure sell samples also.

This will give you a variety of tobaccos to try at a good price and you can figure out what you like (vaper,burley ect.) so that you will know what to try next time.

Some of the best places to get tobacco (that I have used) you can't get at home are these....

Mars......
http://www.marscigars.com/

4noggins...
http://www.4noggins.com/

and Smoking Pipes
http://www.smokingpipes.com/

I have had pretty good luck with all 3, but last few times I have zoned in on the top 2 for my orders. Both have been helpful if needed and seem like they have good friendly service too.

Skip

Thanks Skip, I just got done checking them out. Looks like smokingpipes has the best deal on Frog Morton now, guess I will give them a try!

RealtorFrank":kezsajff said:
Thanks Skip, I just got done checking them out. Looks like smokingpipes has the best deal on Frog Morton now, guess I will give them a try!
I get my Frog Morton from smokingpipes as well. Good prices, fast shipping.

I have tried Escudo but, as a new pipe smoker, I find it a bit too intense. Escudo has a lot of perique and the peppery taste, while pleasant, is quite strong. The tip of my tongue was on fire while smoking my first bowl of Escudo (unlike tongue bite, the stinging went away almost as soon as I stopped smoking). I have decided to age my Escudo a bit and hope that it mellows with time.

RealtorFrank":tmov9e4j said:
In need of some recommendations on tins and bulk tobacco for a fairly new pipe smoker. I have tried some of my local shops house blends, as well as some Bulls Eyed Flake, but other than that I am a newb. I am a pretty regular cigar smoker, so I am not afraid to try some stronger blends. Let em know what I should try next!
I actually blended Key Largo specifically for people like us, who enjoy stronger flavours, enjoy some of the tastes offered by a good cigar, and want something "different" to smoke in the pipe. It's one that I enjoy a lot, and is on my personal "must always have open" list. It comprises latakia, orientals, virginias and a little cigar leaf. It doesn't taste LIKE a cigar, but rather hints at cigar.

It's quite similar to the old Sobranie Virginia #10 blend, discontinued long ago. I think you might like it.

I can also recommend Westminster for a full-bodied experience, and anything in the new Old London Series.

Wow GLP in the house!!!

Definately try the Westminster and Union Square two of my fav's. I'm anxious to try some Cumberland as well!

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I made my first online purchase last night, picked up some Escudo, G.L. Pease Key Largo,Balkan Sasieni, and McClelland Frog Morton. Can't wait for it to come in!

I shall throw my hat into the ring, though most have been mentioned and with very good reason:

Frog Morton (a true English/Aromatic crossover blend)
Blackpoint
Chelsea Morning
Red Cake (McClellend Bulk)
Arcadian Ribbon
Haddo's Delight (unlike any other tobacco, new or old, that I am aware of personally)
Penzance (aged two or three years)

operaguy2570":8dka39uy said:
I shall throw my hat into the ring, though most have been mentioned and with very good reason:

Frog Morton (a true English/Aromatic crossover blend)
Blackpoint
Chelsea Morning
Red Cake (McClellend Bulk)
Arcadian Ribbon
Haddo's Delight (unlike any other tobacco, new or old, that I am aware of personally)
Penzance (aged two or three years)
Thanks man, I will definitely have to try some of those. Chattanooga, not too far from me. I was just down there at Burns Tobacconists about two weeks ago. My sister also goes to UTC, so I make a trip that way about once a month!

You should let me know the next time you are going to be my way; we could have a smoke together. I know Matt, Charlie, and Jason at Burns very, very well. I am encouaging them to carry more than the aromatic blah they carry now. Matt did just inform me that they are starting to carry the Dunhill tin line, which I suppose is a step in the right direction; though the current 965 doesn't compare in my book to the older blending recipe.

I also have two other fellows that come to my house to smoke on a fairly regular basis; you would be welcome to join one of these sessions.