Need Recommendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Mike

Reaction score
I just finished a tin of C&D Blockade Runner and I absolutely loved it. Are there any others out there similar to this blend? Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks

This is probably going to come off wrong, but if you like it, why not just keep smoking it ?

:face:

I will keep smoking it, however as I am new to pipe smoking I am looking to try different blends. You never know, the next blend you try may be more enjoyable than what you are currently smoking.

Check out SG Navy Flake its virginias and a little bit of latakia pressed with rum.

Oh, man. Now you're hooked! I suspect I'm becoming known as "that BR guy" around here because every time someone mentions it, I jump in and start raving about it. (Maybe that should be my next review) I actually just sent out the last of my current supply to another member.
If it's the rum you like, look for anything with the word "Navy" in the name. It comes from the days of wooden sailing ships, when rum was used to keep vermin out of the tobacco rations. You may find a navy blend made from better tobacco than Blockade Runner, but in my experience, not one with the same kick of rum. BR's really exceptional in that regard. That's one of things I like about it. BR does have a Cypriot cousin, though, called Black Frigate. This is basically the same thing with added latakia. Lat's not for everyone, and many newcomers shy away from it at first. It gives a blend a smokey, sometimes tangy flavor. If that sounds like something you might like, PM me your address and I'll send you a sample.

I would have suggested SG Navy, but since Flytyer beat me to it, I'll add GLP Sextant. Both Lat heavy. Mac Baren Navy is very good if you are looking to skip the lat.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I have thought about SG navy flake but am concerned that it may have that lakeland essence that I am not too fond of. Latakia is something that I do enjoy the flavor of having tried GLP Maltese Falcon and FMOTT and liked both blends. I will have to give the Navy blends with Latakia a try, Sounds like an interesting combination.

George, Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't want to impose.

Irish Mike":474wtgwv said:
George, Thanks for the offer but I wouldn't want to impose.
Don't make me go get the spear gun, Mike. :p
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17700-sharing-the-cob-love-by-any-means-necessary
Seriously man, random generosity is how we mess with each other here. Messing with each other is how we show brotherly love.
A. I'm trying to thin out some open tins.
B. I've got an open tin of Black Frigate.
A+B=You'd be doing me a favor by taking a chunk of it.

BTW, Maltese Falcon's another one I like, as well. I can see you already have superb taste. ;)

Yak":ewwihhx3 said:
This is probably going to come off wrong, but if you like it, why not just keep smoking it ?

:face:
I know you bring up this good challenge to guys wondering what else is out there, Yak, so naturally, I'll keep adding my own:

When I first sat down in my 1978 Toyota Corolla hatchback when I bought it at age 15, it was the best car ever. I drove it, worked on it, put a stereo in it, slept in it, and raised hell with it. I always knew there were probably better cars out there for me to drive. A '78 Toyota Corolla isn't a remarkable car, but there were aspects I really liked. Which is why I have a '97 Toyota 4Runner and a Vespa scooter, and not a fleet of '78 Toyota Corollas. I like(d) them all, though. I also wonder what truck I might get in the future as I enjoy and beat the hell out of my 4Runner, because there might be something even better while similar--and probably a Toyota.

I'm guilty of being a polytobaccogamist. I don't like or love other 'bacca less because of the search, I simply take note of which I return to more often, and why. Some guys luck out and nail bulls eyes every time. Maybe their first car was a new Beemer. I ain't that guy, but I know what I like, and the subtle variations therein.

That said, I recently started adding to my extensive, color-coded list bold lettering to certain tobaccos that have always treated me good. A short list is forming. This is also very exciting. I have definitely found a few tobacco Beemers, by learning on a a fleet of tobacco Corollas.

8)

I have to side with Kyle on this one. You don't know what you don't know. I really liked hamburgers, but I am damn glad someone exposed me to real barbeque. I happily drank Coors Light (and still do) but I'm sure thankful to the first person who gave me an IPA. Also - technically speaking, I was quite content with cigars, so there would have been no reason for me to pick up a pipe. Life is about trying new things, for better or worse.

Irish Mike":qb8e7uf9 said:
I have thought about SG navy flake but am concerned that it may have that lakeland essence that I am not too fond of.
Fear not, there is absolutely no lakeland scent to Navy Flake.

Dave_In_Philly":jk9zpmiv said:
Irish Mike":jk9zpmiv said:
I have thought about SG navy flake but am concerned that it may have that lakeland essence that I am not too fond of.
There is ZERO witch's perfume in Navy Flake. Dave himself sent me a bit of it to try, and I have quite a few tins of it now. It's fantastic stuff.

Now that I think about it, Mike, I've also got some open SG Navy Flake as well as MacBaren's Navy Flake. (and a spear gun.) How much free stuff do I have to offer to get you to help me out here? :p

Luxury Navy Flake, Mac B's Navy Flake, SG's Navy Flake...Sextant... sounds like I'm gonna need to try Blockade Runner and Black Frigate, too. What a revelation, nautical-theme tobacco is something I'm quite fond of, too, now that I look at my cellar. I also like ships, boats and fishing. Holy crap, I live in the desert. Not good news. :|

:lol:

8)

And don't forget GLP's Cabin Boy coming out later this year, Kyle. That one might be right in your wheelhouse.

George Kaplan":a0mpn1io said:
And don't forget GLP's Cabin Boy coming out later this year, Kyle. That one might be right in your wheelhouse.
This statement is rife with double-entendre. :suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

:lol:

...but you're probably right...

8)

Kyle Weiss":rx37b288 said:
George Kaplan":rx37b288 said:
This statement is rife with double-entendre. :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: )
Just as I meant it to be, Kyle. :pirat:
Glad you've come to your senses, Mike.

Dave_In_Philly":qqbh1gr5 said:
I have to side with Kyle on this one. You don't know what you don't know. I really liked hamburgers, but I am damn glad someone exposed me to real barbeque. I happily drank Coors Light (and still do) but I'm sure thankful to the first person who gave me an IPA. Also - technically speaking, I was quite content with cigars, so there would have been no reason for me to pick up a pipe. Life is about trying new things, for better or worse.

Irish Mike":qqbh1gr5 said:
here here.