Need replacements for McC flake Va blends.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I dont have very much left of my McC va blends or the select reserve left. Missed out on purchasing last month before the announcement. I am looking for replacements for Dark Star, Blackwoods Flake, Saint James Woods, and Red and Black flake. The english and oriental blends i have others that I enjoy as much.

The only real suggestion I have is to call McCranie's and see if they still have Red Ribbon and Red Flake still in stock at the stores. It's been showing out of stock online, but they had plenty available for the locals. It would be worth the two hour ride if the cash is available.

I haven't heard of any replacements for McC flakes. They were pretty much the only ones that did Va in that manner. I really wish Mike McNeil would release the blending and processing information for his blends so that those of us that are inclined could at least try to make passable substitutes for personal use. Good luck I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Jim

I was told the McCranies Reds were gone for good.

At this point it would be worth calling B&M's, especially those without a web front store.

Personally I don't think that there is anything comparable to what McClelland made, and unfortunately Mike's manufacturing methods will likely never be revealed.

With McClelland gone I would look to European companies, not for replacements but for blends that have "ballpark" nuances and complexities that are similar to what McClelland had. I have always admired the Virginia tobaccos that Kohlhase & Kopp (spelling) produce for R.L.Will's Solani & Renier's label. So many wonderful flavors there. They also blend the Han's Weidemann's HU label and the Rattray's stuff. This is where I would begin looking.

DrumsAndBeer":rjppulha said:
I was told the McCranies Reds were gone for good.

At this point it would be worth calling B&M's, especially those without a web front store.

Personally I don't think that there is anything comparable to what McClelland made, and unfortunately Mike's manufacturing methods will likely never be revealed.

With McClelland gone I would look to European companies, not for replacements but for blends that have "ballpark" nuances and complexities that are similar to what McClelland had. I have always admired the Virginia tobaccos that Kohlhase & Kopp (spelling) produce for R.L.Will's Solani & Renier's label. So many wonderful flavors there. They also blend the Han's Weidemann's HU label and the Rattray's stuff. This is where I would begin looking.
There's much wisdom in this post. Thanks Chris!

Cheers,

RR