Need some help identifing this bamboo.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texastitan1

Reaction score
I found this bamboo in a box I bought from a lil ol lady in alvin. She said the pipes were from the 40's 50's 60's and some early 70's they belonged to her father and some of them were his dads... her Granpa. Her father died in 74. these pipes have been traveling with her eversince. I have been cleaning some up, and took this one on this past week. I've sanitized the bowl with Kosher salt and Everclear, as well as evercleared the stem inside and out. Buffed it with carnuba and it shines beautifully. Any help in Iding this beauty would be appreciated.

Great looking pipe! Are there any other stampings, say on the bamboo or the stem?

My very first impression was Stanwell, but based on the stamping that's not possible. A search for "copenhagen deluxe by hand" brings up Poul Rasmussen's name on multiple links, but most go to the same website.

Don't want to get your hopes up, but Poul Rasmussen is the only lead I have so far. The pipe certainly looks well made, so I could believe it. Only issue is that I can't confirm that info. Pipedia.org doesn't list any stamping for Poul Rasmussen, nor does pipephil.eu (a website dedicated to pipe marks and stampings). However, pipephil.eu says this about Poul:

"Poul Rasmussen (1921 - † 1967) was the leader of the classic Danish school (Björn Bengston, Emile & Jess Chonowitsch, Tom Eltang, Swen Knudsen). His pipes are rarely stamped with his name especially those he carved for Suhr. Poul was married with Anne Julie who continued to run the workshop after he passed away."

This could mean that his pipes were stamped, just not often with his name.

I'm not terribly familiar with Poul Rasmussen's work, but this is the best lead I've got at this point. Someone else more knowledgeable than I, please chime in!

Thanks Uber... There are no stampings and I first thought it to be a Stanwell. Thanks for the info.

I'm with Uber on the Stanwell first impression. The Danes were putting out so many pipes back then, it is hard to say.
Cool find all the same. Hopefully it is a Rasmussen, then you'd be in for a little profit!

Even though it seems that we all have a sneaky suspicion that it's a Stanwell, I don't think this is the case.

Check this out:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45022903/Stanwell-Dating-Pricing-Information-by-Basil-D-Stevens

It appears that there was never a stamp like the one on your pipe used in Stanwell's factory. I'm still leaning towards Poul Rasmussen, which would be phenomenal.

I'd recommend contacting someone extremely knowledgeable, like Neil Archer Roan, GL Pease, or Marty Pulvers. All great guys who are sure to respond.

If all else fails, you could always contact Anne Julie. She'd know better than anyone.

What a fun conundrum!

I did a quick search and found a similar pipe, hope this helps. :idea:

Estervals Pipe House
began using applications made of materials like bamboo ... and tobacco store, is located in the center of Copenhagen ... say that they have been inspired by some of the old ...

www.tecon-gmbh.de/info_pages.php?pages_id=31%3FosCsid%3D234dbf816b3bdfe36c8d378bbe8026...

Poul Rasmussen was the second pipe maker in Denmark. He was the foreman in Suhr's pipe workshop after Sixten had left. Suhr's had to repair a lot of pipes! Later, Rasmussen established his own workshop in Hornemannsgade.

He rarely stamped his pipes with his name. It is also obscure whether the red-white dot, which is being used by Anne Julie today, was the original symbol for Suhr’s, which some pipes suggest; or whether it was the symbol used by Poul Rasmussen himself. One thing is clear though: while playful and flowing shapes were being developed in Sixten Ivarsson’s school in the 1960s, Poul Rasmussen’s pipes kept a classic look.

bambo_10.jpg
[/url][/img]

It looks to me it's near impossible to identify unless someone has specific knowledge of his blasting/mounting style. Copenhagen instantly makes me think Denmark, which several pipe shops are located in Copenhagen if I remember right. However, I have seen pipes stamped "Copenhagen" that were made in Italy. It's a pretty ambiguous stamp. Though the way "deLux" is spelled is intriguing.

Someone just won an auction for a nice bamboo no-name from Italy for 24.50,

Item number: 280753395951

Boulder":s9wi108m said:

Someone just won an auction for a nice bamboo no-name from Italy for 24.50,

Item number: 280753395951
I saw that too. The bamboo on that one was shotty though.