Neerup

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drush1962

Reaction score
What could anyone tell me about Neerup pipes? I've never owned or smoked one, and I'm thinking about buying one. I like the look and the price (!) but I would like to take advantage of everyone's experience first.

I have never smoked one but I know they are made by the well known Dane, P. Jeppesen.

"Located on Sjaelland, the largest of the one hundred or so Danish islands,

I work from a well equipped workshop in the village of Lejre, near Roskilde, which is famous as an old Viking town and not too far from Copenhagen.

This part of Sjaelland is where some of the very first Vikings in Scandinavia settled, in the hills and rugged coastline wrought by ice ages past.

Gentle rolling, verdant hills, soft, beautiful coastline and the sea breezes all provide inspiration for my pipe making, both for the Neerup series of pipes and for the P. Jeppesen handmade pipes.

I started my pipe making career with Karl Erik in 1977 and he provided me with my first pipe making lessons. Indeed, I still use many of those ideas and methods today,

some thirty years later. Karl was a kind and generous teacher and colleague; not only did he get me started, but he continued to be a source of advice on pipe making until his death in 2004. I will always remember him fondly.

In 1983, I began working Erik Nording. To this day, I really consider my time with Nording a vital learning experience;

that’s when I really flowered as a pipe maker. Without Erik’s tutelage, friendship and guidance, I doubt I would ever have really become a pipe maker"....... Read More......

I have one, a nice paneled egg, and it smokes as well as any pipe I've ever owned. Nice open draw, comfortable lucite bit, solid engineering and crafstmanship. His pipes come in various grades, he stamps the best with his name (Jeppeson) and the Neerup named pipes seem to be a handful of roughly uniform patterns. Mine is a higher grade so I cannot comment on the cheaper models, but if they're all engineered basically the same with the differences being only aesthetics I'd not hesitate to buy a cheaper model.

There was an article on him and the brand in one of the Pipes Magazine issues a while back.

A pic of mine:

I have 3 Neerups, all are excellent smokers with open draw and good engineering. I would not hesitate to buy another

My Neerup bent apple is my #2 pipe that I grab. It smokes very well. I have really enjoyed it.

Just last month I picked up my first Neerup, a bent plateaux-top freehand with some stunning straight grain. It's turning out to be quite the smoker. I'm sure after it's broken-in it's going to be even better.