Never really thought I'd live to see this day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffelpuff

Reaction score
17 odd years ago in a moment of utter privation I had to sell off a family heirloom. A near mint Colt military revolver in 38 S&W. It was my Great grandmothers service revolver. She was an MP during WW2. Low and behold browsing through a local pawn shop I spot a very minty looking Colt. Having seen quite a few of these over the years looking to find this gun I've been burned a few times. 90% of the ones I've come across have a British or Australian broad arrow stamped on them. Well I ask to see it. As soon as he took it out of the case I knew this was it. I start looking over the stamping and find the numbers I had burned into my memory all those years ago. After much haggling the gun is off the rack and waiting for my tax return to come in. Once I pick it up I'll post pics. Just thought y'all should know sometimes the hunt takes years but stick with it and eventually you might be rewarded.

A great recovery, one that must have felt great. Having to cash in a gun really sucks. Please do post pics.

That is an awesome story. I look forward to the pics! Congrats. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That's great! Years ago I had to sell my Mastertone banjo and I've never gotten over it. I have another of the same vintage today, and I'm pretty happy with it, but it's not "my" Mastertone. Glad the Colt has found its way home!

That's pretty awesome, glad to hear that it's back where it belongs.

Don't ever get me started on having to sell off guns. 15 or so years ago? Let's just say that SOME of them were 4 Colt Gold Cups, 4 Colt SAA's (action tuned by the late Bob Munden), Smith 41, 29, 19, and I'm gonna stop there because the tears are already starting. Oh yes, All wore custom grips (or stocks as he was adamant to call them) by Roy Fishpaw. Yep, you can bet there were a few ivories and I'm proud to say that one of the SAA's wore the very first set of Walrus ivory stocks Roy ever fashioned, so if you ask for a picture of what they look like, more than likely you'll get a picture of my pistol. At least he used it as his stock sample pic for awhile back in the nineties.

Oh Lord, now that my feet are back on solid ground again I still collect those pieces of poetry in iron and wood and a small collection of knives and I picked up this pipe thing and I feel so shameful when my wife starts talking about finances and things of that nature. Does it make me stop? I think you all know the answer to that one

I am really glad you got a second chance on that treasured memory, I'm smiling now for you.

Pics? Well, let me first say that besides being more concerned with shooting them (OKI, and drooling over them) than taking pictures of them, this was back in the day when there were phone booths. I didn't own a phone that was capable of being a camera until they were gone for at least 7 or 8 years!

smoker13":2z9zs1bg said:
Pics? Well, let me first say that besides being more concerned with shooting them (OKI, and drooling over them) than taking pictures of them, this was back in the day when there were phone booths.  I didn't own a phone that was capable of being a camera until they were gone for at least 7 or 8 years!
:lol: Or SAAs. I hear ya'. Helluva sad tale. But I was alluding above to the OP. He promised!

Doggone it, yer right! I just take everything so personally because that's how the nuns taught me how to live. Regrets and self-flagellation, ad infinitum.

So now let's turn it back on the OP. We want those promised pics or else, buster!

smoker13":vd8s4590 said:
Doggone it, yer right! I just take everything so personally because that's how the nuns taught me how to live.  Regrets and self-flagellation, ad infinitum.

So now let's turn it back on the OP.  We want those promised pics or else, buster!
So? Pictures? :bball:

When I was a kid, 14 or so, there appeared on the gun market a really sweet looking little 20 ga. side by side. The "Quail's Fargo." I was in love. My trusty Weimaraner was in love. But, it was, for a 14 year old, pretty pricey. Years go by, lots of them. I'm at a gun show visiting with the guys I use to do gun shows with. I'm leaving, pause at a table, there's a sweet looking 20. Pick it up...and... its a "Quail's Fargo." That was 10 years ago. I've had it every since. So, sometimes, if you look long enough...it does, magically, appear. Happy your story was good, too.