New Bench for My Atlas 10D Lathe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. M. Perkins

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just finished building this bench for my Atlas 10D lathe. It's 62 inches long, 30 3/4 inches tall, and 24 inches deep.

The local Home Depot was running a sale on those undersized 2x4s, so this cost me a grand total of about $35.

And it took me about three hours to design it and six hours to make it, not counting smoking/coffee breaks.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Robert

LatheBench.jpg

Thanks, guys. Yeah, my initial thought was just to use two layers of plywood on top, but it was actually cheaper to use the undersize 2x4s.

Blackhorse":22ty7g88 said:
Damn nice piece.  You don’t cross brace the legs?
Thanks. And no I didn't cross-brace the legs, but somebody suggested I build a couple shelves underneath, and if I do that, it should add some extra bracing.

Shelving is indeed a great way to brace those legs and gives you added storage space. Perhaps a place to store boxes of briar or ebonite. It would also be really easy to enclose the shelved area to prevent wood chips all over the stuff under there. Just a thought. Oh and absolutely love sturdy work benches like that great job!

Jim

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I'm still trying to decide how to work a shelf or two into the design. I would like to be able to sit at this bench with my legs underneath. So I might do small shelves on the left and right for my lathe attachments. Or I might do a 12" wide shelf along the back that still leaves me space for my knees.

Blackhorse":q801stsu said:
Here’s just one idea. Not the very best pic but you can get the idea.

Well that looks good. Yeah, I will definitely have to get some bracing underneath mine, huh?