New blend testers wanted

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I’m finally ready to review pipeinhand’s blend Yule Pudding. It has taken me a while to write this, but I wanted to make sure I had smoked the entire sample out of several different pipes under several different conditions. Let me also say that my palate is a little less sensitive than most. I tend to taste blocks of flavor, such as sweet, bitter, savory, as opposed to cinnamon with a hint of bergamot. Keep my Neanderthal tastes in mind as you read the review.

The smell from the bag is very sweet, but has a certain mustiness to it. I can definitely smell vanilla. The moisture content seems like that of other aromatics, but this one packed nicely as the pieces are slightly on the smaller side (or at least in my sample).

The burn on this tobacco is incredible. I thought this would be a hard one to burn, but with one false light I was off and puffing. I think I had to relight one or two times on average. The tobacco itself burns nice and even. Where Yule Pudding really shines, however, is the complete lack of moisture build up as the burned progressed. Never a single gurgle from any of my pipes, and it produced only minimal dottle that I would expect from an English blend, but rarely if ever from an aromatic.

Now on to taste. Unlike many aromatics with a flat or consistent taste, Yule Pudding definitely changed as the burn progressed. The initial impression I got was a sharp sweetness followed by a little spice I am unable to identify. Soon this initial flavor is complemented by a mellow bready note with vanilla and perhaps rum. By mid bowl the sharp flavor has vanished and a mellow natural tobacco flavor is enhanced with a little sweetness with some dried fruity notes. A sudden rush of sweetness at the bottom signals I am near the end. Room note is very pleasant, but best of all there was little to no bite.

At first I wasn’t sure how I liked this blend, but as I smoked it more I became fonder of it. I’m still not sure if the flavor says “Christmas” to me, but we definitely have a winner as far as quality. I’d seriously consider adding it to my limited repertoire of aromatics.

Thanks again to pipeinhand for the opportunity to review the blend.

Thank you everyone for the reviews. I guess I have one that I am going to release. I was expecting something like "I wish it was ..." but from the comments it looks like it came out as I blended it. It is not a true Christmas blend but a Holiday blend that would take Thanksgiving, Yule, Christmas and New Years with all of its flavors and treats. I love the cakes, cookies and puddings, (think english) during this time of year and that is what I wanted to bring out. I will release it Nov 1 and only make it through Jan 5.

thank you again, everyone.