New Blue for me !!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have used Private Resrve inks but on the suggestion of Sam Fiorella @ Pendemonium I got a bottle of their Midnight Blue which is a fast dry ink and is a TRUE Blue/Black ala the old Parker Quink Blue/Black of the '70s. It flows well in all the pens I've used it in ( 12 different ones so far) with nibs that range from firm F 51 nibs to many of my soft 14 k OB and M German nibs from the '50s. It dries completely by the time I go to another word and a friend of mine whose a Lefty just loves it !! Check it out you Blue/Black lovers!! :twisted:

In addition to the rich color, the good flow and fast dry time (indeed, I understand this was specifically formulated with a fast dry time as a main goal) I've seen reports that some are avoiding this ink due to a tendency to feather on various papers. Have you noted any feathering? What papers have you used it with? Thanks.

It's odd, but as I don't have a need to accommodate my choice of inks to use in a work or business setting...I've gotten away from "blue-black" inks almost completely. I've replaced them with inks that range into the teal and dark teal colors and even purples. I'm finding many inks made by Robert Oster, Iroshizuku and Diamine much to my liking...moving away from Private Reserve for whatever reason. There are still blues that I like but they are mostly brighter or true blue types. I also am liking saturated black, black inks like Aurora and of course the ubiquitous Noodlers Black.

I wonder if "ink drift" is something like "tobacco preference drift" over time.

Blackhorse":q3d7ahxx said:
In addition to the rich color, the good flow and fast dry time (indeed, I understand this was specifically formulated with a fast dry time as a main goal) I've seen reports that some are avoiding this ink due to a tendency to feather on various papers. Have you noted any feathering? What papers have you used it with? Thanks
I wonder if "ink drift" is something like "tobacco preference drift" over time.
I've been using 4 different Crane papers for the past 40 years and have not noticed ANY thing like "feathering" on these papers. As to "ink drift", I did some years ago when I first started collecting pens, but have basically stuck with Aurora Blue and Black and Waterman's Brown and now have added Private Reserve Midnight Blue to my inks. 4 inks are MORE than enough for me !! :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, yeah...Crane papers for 40 years...yadda, yadda, yadda. But it sounded like you pretty recently added the Private Reserve stuff to your desk...so I just wondered if you had noticed it doing what others have described. Keep yer shirt on. No one is casting aspersions on your precious media.

Hmmm. One brand of paper...three to four inks...in HOW many pens? Over three hundred?

Blackhorse":1llgqk4x said:
Yeah, yeah...Crane papers for 40 years...yadda, yadda, yadda. But it sounded like you pretty recently added the Private Reserve stuff to your desk...so I just wondered if you had noticed it doing what others have described. Keep yer shirt on. No one is casting aspersions on your precious media.

Hmmm. One brand of paper...three to four inks...in HOW many pens? Over three hundred?
As you say, "keep your shirt on" as no one was casting aspersions on your precious media either !! Over the years , I've used many, many brands and colors of inks and LOTS of reams of papre and these that I mentioned are what work for me now. And yes I have over 300 pens ! :twisted:

OH. See...it sounded like you only ever had used the one brand of paper, etc. Good that you found what you liked. I'll have to look into the Crane line. I thought they were mostly cards and business stock.

Not to worry, my shirt is on and since you didn't mention my media I couldn't really think you were casting anything on them. Whatever. I was only trying to engage in conversation but I can see you're as touchy as ever. I was just interested and not dissing your picks. Was going to ask more about your Crane selections but I'll let it go.

For the majority of my writing I've been using Cranes Executive line of papres in a monarch size, both in White and Ecru. I have personalized sheets in each color as well as corresponding printed envelopes. This series is a smooth kid finished 100% cotton paper VERY fountain pen and most inks friendly !! I also have used and still get some Monarch sized 100% cotton paper and matching envelopes from http://www.americanstationery.com/ in Grey also. The American Stationary paper is about 1/2 the price of Cranes but both papers are worth the price asked IMHO . Here's a link to the Crane site and the paper I use from them  http://www.crane.com/
. I have around 5 folks that I correspond with on a regular basis and have fro many years now and use these papers and my pens to write with. When I started collecting Fountain Pens over 40 years ago we did not have the web and such so we wrote to each other with pen and ink. These 5 folks I correspond with are pen collectors as I was but we've become more than just collectors by now. I truly enjoy sitting down to my 150 yo mahogany desk every month writing to them. As long as I can hold a pen and form my letters to make words I'll be writing !! :twisted:

That's very interesting. Fine paper to be sure.

I'm wondering...I've read here and there that the waterproof aspects of inks that are waterproof are "activated" by the ink's contact with cellulose. So - wood product paper. If a paper like your Crane is 100% cotton...do "waterproof" inks ever get to be waterproof...etc.?

I know the Aurora Black and Blue are not considered waterproof...but that the black will leave a pretty readable line if hit with water after it has dried. So maybe that's different.

The only place I would ever be concerned would be an addressed envelope. That plus maybe some art applications.

Blackhorse":mic8cz81 said:
That's very interesting. Fine paper to be sure.

I'm wondering...I've read here and there that the waterproof aspects of inks that are waterproof are "activated" by the ink's contact with cellulose. So - wood product paper. If a paper like your Crane is 100% cotton...do "waterproof" inks ever get to be waterproof...etc.?

I know the Aurora Black and Blue are not considered waterproof...but that the black will leave a pretty readable line if hit with water after it has dried. So maybe that's different.

The only place I would ever be concerned would be an addressed envelope. That plus maybe some art applications.
The cellulose thing is new to me. Was always told 100% cotton rag paper was the best with most fountain pen ink formulations. I never really thought much about "waterproof" aspects and I'm sure many of my letters got wet in their trips to the addressy over the years but all my letters made it through so I've stuck with the inks I use. I do use a few other colors at times, with two of my faves being Watermans Havana Brown ( name now changed to Absolute Brown but it's the same ink just a new name.) and Omas Vespucci Red. But since I mainly use my pens for letter writting I stick mostly to a few Blues and Blacks. But then I'm an old cranky fart  :twisted: :twisted: