New Buffer Day... or How to fling a Pipe 6+ Feet in 1 Second

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CygnusXII

Reaction score
Well Boys and Girls, I ordered a small polisher Buffer off of eBay, a smaller double wheeled model with variable speed controller. I spent about $40 bucks on it, with free shipping. It arrived this morning... Wooohooo! So of course I've been buffing and polishing all my Stable of Pipes. The model I ordered came from China, of course, and it really isn't all that bad for the money. It came with dual tapered, threaded Mandrels, and two 4" cloth, washable wheels. It has variable speed control from 200 to 7000 RPM. From Amazon.com I bought 2 x 2lb blocks of Bees Wax, and a 1Lb block of Red Jewelers Rouge. Let me tell you, all in all, it's not a bad little rig. It runs on 110 volts, so it plugs right into the wall, and setup took about 5 minutes. Word of Warning The mandrels have to be put on properly as the threading is pertinent to mounting the buffing wheels easily. If you get them reversed, the wheels will not mount, they will attempt to spin off the mounts instead of tightening down. Once you have the wheels mounted, load one side with red rouge, and the other with Bees Wax or Carnuba, which ever you chose to use, personally. I choose to use Bees wax, as it is easier and more cost effective to buy in bulk, has a nice smell (floral to fruit scented depending on what the Bees used to make their Honeycomb with.) Bees Wax leaves a little less of a lustrous shine than Carnuba, but I think it goes on a little thicker, and last a little longer than Carnuba, and has a little bit better tactile feel in your hands. Of course I had to start right in cleaning and polishing my beauties. My Pipe Stable dwindled during my 10 year Hiatus, but I am back up to about 45 or 50 of them now With more to come :) I used to work a buffer a lot in my younger years as a pipe smoker. My best friend owned a Tobacco Store, and I had free reign to come and go, and use equipment as I needed. Hand + Eye memory comes back but slowly, and I must admit 20+ years have gone by since then. Back in those days I flung a Pipe or two across the room, every now and then. It is really easy to catch that cloth wheel at an odd angle and before you know it, shcwing!!! there it goes... KA!-Ping! Sometimes it can ricochet from wall to wall. Be warned, a pipe can become a projectile faster than you can think about it. Well I've slung a few today, but with the variable speed control, I had it lowered and the pipe only flicked a few feet. It really surprised me, and let me tell you, my cats sure jumped.

I hope my little story has helped encourage you guys into looking into buying your own buffing gear, and I really hope it helps you prepare for a flung pipe. It will happen, even if you are careful... Eventually. I hope you do not break a shank, bowl or stem.

One word of advice I might offer when you buy (IF) a buffing wheel. Get larger cloth wheels. maybe 6 inch or 8 inch. The 4 inch is serviceable, but a little tight, and thin in movement room.

CygnusXII":3z7qwnkc said:
One word of advice I might offer when you buy (IF) a buffing wheel. Get larger cloth wheels. maybe 6 inch or 8 inch. The 4 inch is serviceable, but a little tight, and thin in movement room.
That is true. I use the 4" wheels and they are small. On a side note, I have a buffer with variable rpms, but low torque. If I press too much, the motor simply looses speed and doesn't fling the pipe.

MY TWO CENTS. If you are going to use an 8" wheel it should not have a speed greater than 1700 RPM. The 4" wheel can run 3600 RPM. MIKE

SPUD 15":k97y1mkj said:
MY TWO CENTS. If you are going to use an 8" wheel it should not have a speed greater than 1700 RPM. The 4" wheel can run 3600 RPM. MIKE
No offense to the OP, buy my guess is that a $40 buffer shipped straight from china cranked all the way up to "7000" rpms is running closer to 4000 anyway....

Either way, its nicer than my buffer:

images

(the diaper, not the kid)

MisterE":eygduw2i said:
^Well, maybe you could get the kid to buff for you! Not as fast as a machine but, hey, he's already got the diaper! :p

how much do you pay your little one to buff your pipes? child labor taxes are stiff in illinois!

No worries here, I live in Mexico. It's the child labor capital of the world! :p

Naw, my boy got ahold of the pipes once and he poured coffee in all the bowls. I'm not sure he's quite ready for refurb yet...

Cygnus XII, do you happen to have a link to the sellers page on ebay where you purchased your buffer?

Here's the link to the model I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-4-1-4-Polisher-Polishing-Buffer-Buffing-Bench-Top-Machine-Jeweler-/290696768317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aee0ab3d

It shows a list of Buy it now 59$, but I always send the seller a lowball offer to see if they'll bite. On this one I got lucky, but on a Peterson 303XL I couldn't get the seller to budge. Although it never hurts to try and get them to sway on the sale. I love when it works, because what can you lose. The wost they can say is "No." Even when I go to Walmart and trawl the close out section, if I find something I want, that is too high, I'll get the store Manager and try to cut a deal. I once bought about 25 boxes of colored and sleeved writable DVD's 25 per box, for $4 a box. Back then than was a Fantastic price. The only thing was I had to buy them all.

Additionally, I do not run the buffer at full speed, because it is just way to dang fast. It has a rotating variable speed knob, like potentiometer, I think. At full speed it whizzes like a dremel going full blast, and is just to hard a surface to work with. I like it a lot slower so I can use the wheel in a more loose fashion, and get in the cracks and crevices. Eight inch wheels would probably be to big for it to handle, and I think it only has Mandrels up to 1/2 inch at their largest, and most larger cloth wheels start at 1/2 inch at least, so they would be right up against the butt of the mandrel face, so I might be limited in that respect. But "hey" you learn as you go, and I can always buy a bigger one and use this one for other smaller projects, or get a flexishaft style adapter and use it with my dremel tools and bits.

If you let you wife or girlfriend (or both...lol) use the buffer...or someone with long hair...be sure they tie their hair back or somthing. The spindle the disc sits on can also wind hair around itself...gaining more and more almost as fast as your pipe was ke-wanged across the room. The result wouldn't be torn hair, but what is called 'bowing to the buffer', as it gets to meet you "head on"...and as a token of affection removes a fat chunk of scalp. If it's really low torque, that would make it somewhat more safe. And if that little puppy isn't screwed right to a workbench, it should be...or do what I do to make it more portable and screw it to a board that can then be fixed to a workbench with sound clamps.

PS: how come the eBay page says it costs $59?

Don't just screw it to a board and clamp it, pick a spot in your workspace that will be where IT goes and attach it FIRMLY to a bench or build one for IT. Revolving discs, even cloth wheels can be dangerous at fast speeds ! Remember the buffer at Jason's back in Arlington? It was FIRMLY attached to the bench in the back! Better safe than sorry as they say :p Also, either button your sleeves or wear short ones when working with it as a folded up sleeve can get caught and wound up and cause damage :p And as they used to say back in shop classes, "remove all jewelery, watches etc. when using " :p ( BTW, looked at your collection pics and can see that you will be to busy to adaquatly smoke those S&R pots you have so send 'em here to Texas so I can take care of 'em for ya) :bounce: :bounce:

Yuppers. I plan on having a buffing Station. I also want to get a wood buff setup for the lathe. The hardest part here at my house, is my Maine Coon Cat PeBo (pronounced Pea Bo, short for Pretty Boy) He absolutely loves power tools. He's drawn to them like a magnet. He hears the whine of the motor and zoom, there he is trying to get to the tool. It started with my Dremel and progressed to his love for a hand sander, and everything else. I think He was a wood worker in a previous life.

Funny story about that Cat. My Wife (ex to be) found him listed in the pound over in Chester County. They listed a kitten, Maine Coon, so we toddled on over to get it. It was listed as a Female, and I have several other Females. Adding a Male to the mix was not our intention. We took the kitten home. It was a pure ball of fluff. we named it Precious. Two weeks later, Precious developed Marbles. Marsha and I were surprised to discover She was a He. I started calling him Pretty Boy, cause he was so beautiful, and fluffy. Eventually Pretty Boy, was shortened to PeBo. I did a bad thing with him. I kept a bowl of Kibble in front of my Keyboard, and he would come and get a bite to eat, and I would love on him and rub his tummy and I'd sing a little nonsense song to him. Just a simple patter. "...Time to eat the dinner...cause PeBo is a Hungry...Dinner time is a coming... and PeBo is a eating..." Now seven years later... I have to sing the dinner time song, or he gets upset, and pesters me til I do it. I also have to fluff up his kibble with my hand and move the bits around in the bowl, and then he tries to get his muzzle in and eat, like a game we play.

I swear I love that Cat like He's my Son. My Daughter calls him, her little furry Brother and comes over and spends time with him and teases the shit out of him to no end, and he loves it to death.

monbla said:

Don't just screw it to a board and clamp it, pick a spot in your workspace that will be where IT goes and attach it FIRMLY to a bench or build one for IT.

So - we've already all agreed that the things are dangerous...even a 'baby biuffer' like the one in question. But there's no reason not to afix it to a board with good screws or bolts (the same thing you'd be doing if that board was part of a bench)...and then clamping that board to a bench. Very often, starter benchtop power tools like this one, are selected because the buyer doesn't HAVE a shop, per se. In my situation, I have a studio and the area dedicated to my grinder/buffer is indeed in one specific location. The problem is that I have two other benchtop tools that also have that as their dedicated area. So each is mounted on a board of the same size and I just swap out the tools as needed. Not ideal...but not a problem in terms of safety.

Blackhorse":h9lxgczw said:
monbla said:

Don't just screw it to a board and clamp it, pick a spot in your workspace that will be where IT goes and attach it FIRMLY to a bench or build one for IT.

So - we've already all agreed that the things are dangerous...even a 'baby biuffer' like the one in question. But there's no reason not to afix it to a board with good screws or bolts (the same thing you'd be doing if that board was part of a bench)...and then clamping that board to a bench. Very often, starter benchtop power tools like this one, are selected because the buyer doesn't HAVE a shop, per se. In my situation, I have a studio and the area dedicated to my grinder/buffer is indeed in one specific location. The problem is that I have two other benchtop tools that also have that as their dedicated area. So each is mounted on a board of the same size and I just swap out the tools as needed. Not ideal...but not a problem in terms of safety.
It's your extremity's . Myself, it would be firmly bolted/screwed in place, either directly or on a mounting board. :p

Blackhorse said:

"...afix it to a board with good screws or bolts (the same thing you'd be doing if that board was part of a bench)...and then clamping that board to a bench."

monbla responded:

"Myself, it would be firmly bolted/screwed in place, either directly or on a mounting board."

It would appear obvious that we are of a like mind on this issue...why are we arguing? A united front needs to be presented to the whippersnapper set in order for them to take our directions to heart! lol

Amen! I guess coming from a commercial millwork shop background and having taking lost/mangled digits to the hospital with one of the guys who did not secure something correctly I err on the side of "hard n fast" in these kind of situations. One thing I have done in the small shop I have at home to allow mobility of smaller stationary tools is to mount them all on the same size of board ( the largest dictates the overall size for the three I have) and I have drilled 4 holes in the bench where they get mounted, put bushings in the bench holes and use 4" machine bolts with lock washers on them to bolt the "moveable" tools in place. Takes a little more time but is very secure :p

Perfect!

One of my favorite vises (which I can't afford) uses a similar concept. It has a 3/4" bolt that extendes down through a bench or whatever. You inset the bolt into a drilled hole and then you spin on a big wingnut to secure it to whatever.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2003516/WoodRiver-Gunstock-Vises.aspx

142768_400.jpg
I've put this Gunstock Vise on my Christmas list for nearly ten years...to no avail. Dang!