New Falcon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Greetings Brothers,

The last three years I was in high school I was the projectionist at the local theater in my home town. Pipe smoking was one of my early vices.
One afternoon before showtime I happened by the local drugstore and saw a Dr. Graybow "Viking" for sale. I'm sure it must have
been less than $15.00 because it went to work with me that evening. Not sure what tobacco got smoked that night but would guess
it was Cherry Blend. It was all the rage back then and being cool was the necessity of life. Smoking Cherry Blend was definitely cool.
I remember the Viking having lots of chrome. Chrome was big back then too. Lots of chrome on your car, your clothes, your pipe...
Yeah, I was cool. Had a cool job and smoked a cool pipe. Some years later I quit smoking, lost my Viking, and the cool must have gone
way of the pipe.

A new unsmoked Viking is next to impossible to find but the Falcon seemed to look much like the old cool so I thought it wouldn't hurt
to give one a try, 4noggins has them at an acceptable price and today a straight stem with the Dublin bowl arrived with some of their
Killington tobacco. I put the two together and was delighted in the "coolness" of the smoke. The pipe has a very smooth draw and I
really like the Dry Rings. The Killington was a little moist and might have gurgled in some other pipe but not so with the Falcon. I'm
impressed. It's a very modestly priced pipe and smokes as well as some high dollar ones. BTW IMHO it looks cool.

Any other members got experience with the Falcon Pipe?

AJ

I've got five of them. You can cut a short piece of pipe cleaner, wrap it around a pencil and use it as a dry ring. I don't use anything in mine since there doesn't seem to be any moisture problems in Falcons. Just let the bowl cool before removing to clean the humidrome. Fancy word, eh? I've got a Falcon Extra that is very small and very light. Even the bowls are small. Good pipes.
I still got my old Viking too. Got notification from Grabow a few months back that they will no longer be making Vikings. Said they can't find anyone to produce the stems for them.

i enjoy my regular and "international" falcons but find the larger, "classic" bowls better suit my smoking style and needs.

the snifter and hyperbole bowls, plain and meerschaum-lined, are in my regular rotation; i might add one or two more bowls to give some more resting time to the current line-up.

i smoke the international falcon with and without a filter and can't say there's much of a taste difference. the dry rings do provide a dryer smoke for aromatics and make the already easy cleanup routine even less challenging.

overall, falcons are becoming my go to pipes; though the bowls tend to be heavily filled, for the price, the briar itself is of good smoking quality and easily takes to any tobacco i choose ( i am not an english/oriental/latakia fan and my selections are virginias, virgina/burley blends, burleys and couple of aromatics...my falcons seem to lke them all).

i don't know about "cool," but falcons seem to attract quizical (sp?) glances; i rarely see other falcon smokers at the local jr cigars' "montecristo lounge," but then again there are few enough pipe smokers there as it is....pipesters seem to be a solitary lot anyway.

I have several Falcons that are in my regular rotation. Great pipes for the money.

I've never tried a Falcon,...but like you I was a projectionist for a while. What an extremely great job that was! I have always look back at that job fondly. At my theater we used to pop a literal garbage bag of popcorn and play all the great movies the night before they opened (just to be sure they would play through ok of course...)

I would love to go back to that time of my life for about a year!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a thread about a Falcon and talk about being a projectionist...

Fond memories..

I have intended to buy a falcon for a wile now just never got around to it, but after reading about how well they smoke I think Ill put it higher up on my must buy list.

Thanks to all the BoB members that responded to my post. Taking time from your busy
schedules is greatly appreciated. The BoB membership is the greatest.

AJ.

I smoked either a Falcon or a Falcon-clone back in the 70s (one of the pipes my Father gave me). Since I smoked aros back then, dry rings would have been nice. In any case, just got one yesterday. With only one pipe-full down, too early to tell, but it will be a learning experience!

I have been considering a Falcon pipe for quite some time now but i typically prefer bent pipes. I have held off on buying a Falcon bent because they look so unorthidox. How do their bent models perform compared to the straights?

DrumsAndBeer":hb7fr7zd said:
I have been considering a Falcon pipe for quite some time now but i typically prefer bent pipes. I have held off on buying a Falcon bent because they look so unorthidox. How do their bent models perform compared to the straights?
I haven't smoked the straight version since the '80s, but the new one has the bend at the end (called on the 4 Noggins site the curved stem, as opposed to the fully curved version called the bent stem). The end-bend model passes passes the Falcon ppe cleaner easily and seems to be breaking in well.

DrumsAndBeer":mci291de said:
I've had no problems with my bent Falcons. I have one each of the regular bents and one of the bent Internationals. They smoke just like the straight Falcons.