New Goussard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
Thanks to the expansive generosity of a man I am very proud to call a friend, my second Goussard.

Tell me fellas (and I ask you very confidentially) aint she sweet????

That is a sweet pipe Mark! Charl does some phenomenal work to say the least. ;)

One of my favorite shapes. This one is very well done. :)

AJ

Greetings, brothers.

I received my new Goussard yesterday, and have just smoked it this morning with some Peterson’s Old Dublin, and felt I should share my impressions. (Old Dublin in my new Dublin. . . Hhmmm)

First though, a mild caveat. Although I freely and proudly acknowledge that Charl has become a good friend over the last couple of years since I once again took to the pipe in earnest, I have absolutely no commercial interest in his pipemaking whatsoever.

This one’s light as a feather but still has a generous bowl. I packed it full, since I am too impatient for the half bowl break in process. Result: fabulous. It performed exactly “as advertised”. Not a burble, not a gurgle not whistle, not a peep. Identical to the experience of my other Goussard.

I can only say that Charl’s sharp eye for the aesthetic is more than matched by his skills at internal engineering. The pipe performs without issue. It allows the flavour of the tobacco to come to the fore untainted, and to develop throughout the bowl. And what more can be expected of even the highest grades in terms of smoking quality?

Fellow members of our pipe club, and esteemed Brother on this forum, SpeedyPete, refers to them as “South African Dunhills”. But, with due reverence, I’m going to say that, at least in terms of smoke-ability, this is to do them a slight disservice. I mean, one does from time to time hear of a poor smoking Dunhill, but I have yet to hear the same said of any Goussard. No offence intended to Dunhill fans out there, but I believe Charl’s pipes can take the Pepsi test with any Dunnie, any day.

I offer this not only based on my limited experience, but as the general consensus of the more experienced members of our club who own many more than me (lucky fish).

Now I know these comments will bring a blush to his cheeks, since he is someone whose talent is matched only by his modesty, but still: Man’s gotta say, what a man’s gotta say.

Thanks for a great pipe, Charl.

M.

Puffer Mark":eztjcnfw said:
Greetings, brothers.

I received my new Goussard yesterday, and have just smoked it this morning with some Peterson’s Old Dublin, and felt I should share my impressions. (Old Dublin in my new Dublin. . . Hhmmm)

First though, a mild caveat. Although I freely and proudly acknowledge that Charl has become a good friend over the last couple of years since I once again took to the pipe in earnest, I have absolutely no commercial interest in his pipemaking whatsoever.

This one’s light as a feather but still has a generous bowl. I packed it full, since I am too impatient for the half bowl break in process. Result: fabulous. It performed exactly “as advertised”. Not a burble, not a gurgle not whistle, not a peep. Identical to the experience of my other Goussard.

I can only say that Charl’s sharp eye for the aesthetic is more than matched by his skills at internal engineering. The pipe performs without issue. It allows the flavour of the tobacco to come to the fore untainted, and to develop throughout the bowl. And what more can be expected of even the highest grades in terms of smoking quality?

Fellow members of our pipe club, and esteemed Brother on this forum, SpeedyPete, refers to them as “South African Dunhills”. But, with due reverence, I’m going to say that, at least in terms of smoke-ability, this is to do them a slight disservice.  I mean, one does from time to time hear of a poor smoking Dunhill, but I have yet to hear the same said of any Goussard. No offence intended to Dunhill fans out there, but I believe Charl’s pipes can take the Pepsi test with any Dunnie, any day.

I offer this not only based on my limited experience, but as the general consensus of the more experienced members of our club who own many more than me (lucky fish).

Now I know these comments will bring a blush to his cheeks, since he is someone whose talent is matched only by his modesty, but still: Man’s gotta say, what a man’s gotta say.

Thanks for a great pipe, Charl.

M.
AND SO SAY ALL OF US!!

Now THAT is what I would call an "Artisan Pipe". That looks fabulous: grain orientation, stain color choice (why hide it!) and the stem work all conspire to be pure beauty.

One of these days I am going to actually buy one of those Goussard pipes instead of drooling all over the pictures! Always top notch!

Gorgeous. His usual high standard craftsmanship and attention to detail. :cheers: