New guy from the Texas Gulf Coast

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMITHENHALS

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new to pipe smoking and need LOTS of help. A little about myself, I have a very addictive personality so when I find something I’m interested in a jump in head first. I started home brewing beer, wine, mead, and cider a few years ago with a small amount of equipment…now I have a full brewery, with thousands of dollars in equipment. I started smoking cigars around the same time….I keep three humidors full, I just can’t help myself. I recently stumbled upon this very interesting ART of pipe smoking, and got the bug. I went to the local tobacconist and asked for advice. A Stanwell, pipe tool, and lighter later I’m hooked….but I suck at it and it’s driving me insane! I get a burnt tongue every time, have to relight every 3 minutes, and am starting to get discouraged.

SMITHENHALS":m3i7ipov said:
Hello all, I’m new to pipe smoking and need LOTS of help. A little about myself, I have a very addictive personality so when I find something I’m interested in a jump in head first. I started home brewing beer, wine, mead, and cider a few years ago with a small amount of equipment…now I have a full brewery, with thousands of dollars in equipment. I started smoking cigars around the same time….I keep three humidors full, I just can’t help myself. I recently stumbled upon this very interesting ART of pipe smoking, and got the bug. I went to the local tobacconist and asked for advice. A Stanwell, pipe tool, and lighter later I’m hooked….but I suck at it and it’s driving me insane! I get a burnt tongue every time, have to relight every 3 minutes, and am starting to get discouraged.
Welcome to the BoB
My advice would be "Be patient and Relax"
The art of packing and smoking a pipe is not a skill a person can acquire overnight.
Relax and enjoy the process.

I think part of my problem is the tobacco I have, three flavored aromatics from wilke. While they smell great, I can’t really taste them. My choice of cigars are some of the most full flavored, full strength on the market, so maybe that’s the way I should lean with pipe tobacco.

Smithenhals,
Hello & Welcome.
I agree, I can't abide the flavored aromatics, try some real tobacco like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flakes (my favourite). There are some out there with cigar leaf you might enjoy also, although I can't remember their names, I'm sure others here could say.
Good luck.

SMITHENHALS":ifsh8twq said:
A friend suggested Dunhill nightcap, if I could find it. Where should I look?
Here is a thread with some info:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/reviews-f15/dunhill-nightcap-t4037.htm?highlight=dunhill+nightcap

Hope it helps.

First off, welcome to BoB! Glad to have new brothers aboard!

Secondly, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear more about this brewery of yours! Don't forget to check out the Speakeasy section of BoB!

Welcome to BoB. I spent a good deal of my life in The Lone Star State. This is a re-post from another welcome thread:

You seem very eager for information, and I'm a sponge so here you go, reading material there enough for a lifetime of pleasures of the pipe. If I've missed any that people feel should be on that list, please post away and I'll add them at my earliest convenience!

Kilted1's Bookmarks

Benjamin Button":18uc20z3 said:
First off, welcome to BoB! Glad to have new brothers aboard!

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear more about this brewery of yours!
If you are a beer, mead, or cider drinker, I'm up for swaps! Thanks for the book marks kilted. So should I have an additional pipe for smoking different blends? I have been using my only pipe for smoking, vanilla, rum, and VT.maple aromatics from Wilke.

Ahoy there, and welcome aboard.

(As a general rule, yes, it's best to use a different pipe for different varieties of tobacco, especially aromatics. Corn cobs are a cheap and very satisfying way to get those extra pipes if you're just starting out.)

Thanks for the link, the wife surprised me today with a 3.5oz tin of Mac Baren vanilla cream, loose cut. Is this a decent smoke? They also have Scottish mixture available.

SMITHENHALS":8w8bpmxb said:
...I’m hooked….but I suck at it and it’s driving me insane! I get a burnt tongue every time, have to relight every 3 minutes, and am starting to get discouraged.
Welcome!

(You're probably not drying your tobacco enough.)

Greetings and welcome, have we all mentioned "Smoke slowly" and dry your tobacco. ?

Huh, I was under the impression to keep the tobacco semi moist. I just sprayed distilled water on a few ounces of Wilke that has been sitting for about 8 months in plastic bags.

SMITHENHALS":9xa39t5f said:
Huh, I was under the impression to keep the tobacco semi moist. I just sprayed distilled water on a few ounces of Wilke that has been sitting for about 8 months in plastic bags.
Store it moist, smoke it dry.
(You'll thank me later.) :eek:

(Also, ditch the plastic bags;
put it in mason jars.)