new guy in New Mexico

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alsmith52

Reaction score
Hi, i am Al . I started smoking pipes in 69. My best friend and I used to go to garage sales and pick up pipes for 25-50 cents. A great buy was a pipe that still had tobacco in it, so we would smoke it on the way home. I had a collection of about 120 pipes until the summer of '08 when I sold my soul to ebay and had to sell my pipes ( and everything else I could) to pay the mortgage. Since then I have been buying and selling on ebay and etsy, but what amazes me is the diversity of pipes. I don' think any one person can catalog all the pipes made, much less own one of each ( a delusion of mine at one time). I hope I can learn from this forum and teach some others.

Welcome! I grew up in Clayton, NM and I gotta say, there is not much in Deming! Welcome to BOB.

Ocelot55":tlubiyi3 said:
Welcome! I grew up in Clayton, NM and I gotta say, there is not much in Deming! Welcome to BOB.
Actually, Deming is a whopping 13,000 now. I grew up in Lovington, which is probably about 9000 now - never recovered from the oil bust of the 70s. thanks guys

Welcome Al! I like the way you've built your collection! Enjoy the board!

thanks stick. the great Escape was always a favorite movie of mine.

well met sir..

I am new here too, all pipe boards seem to have a good share of gentlemen ( and ladies of course) that id be happy to meet on the street

you have been smoking pipes for longer than I have been alive, which is damn awesome

any hints or tips you care to share will be gratefully received.

kind regards

andy

welcome aboard. My advice is to start small. Start with a pipe you like- not necessarily the most expensive, but one you like. I have had Grabows that I smoked for decades that I loved. Find a tobacco you like- if you can get samplers of tobacco, that seems the best way to find a tobacco you like. Once you find a tobacco you like, you can buy it in bulk. I keep mine in the freezer/ refigerator- no need for an expensive humidor. Same with cigars- I keep them in the frig too. Enjoy and smoke in good health.