New guy says hi!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midstream

Reaction score
Looks like a great site, looking forward to the brotherhood. I am 51, long time pipe smoker preferring Dunhill 120s and Balkan Sobranie or other heavy latakia blends. Now if I can just learn to smoke a pipe while fly fishing and not drop it in the water.

Hello and welcome. You may want to talk with Mark Tinsky on the art of fly fishing while smoking. I'm sure he can give you some pointers on keeping your pipe dry. :)

Randy

midstream":2lgdku72 said:
Now if I can just learn to smoke a pipe while fly fishing and not drop it in the water.
True multitasking!

Greetings, Mid-Stream, and welcome to the BoB forum. I too am a fly fisherman, and I have yet to figure out how to smoke and fish at the same time. Personally, I feel that the two are somewhat incongruent, in that fly fishing takes extreme concentration and I don't like to fiddle around with a pipe when I am stalking the wary trouties. Instead, fish hard, then take a sit, streamside, and enjoy a mellow, tasty smoke while you rest the hole. Very enjoyable, and much better than trying to do both at once, at least for me!

About the only way I've found to fly fish and smoke a pipe at the same time and NOT end in disaster is while float tubing in quiet waters. I spend a lot of the mid summer in Georgia on a quiet private lake, roll casting bass bugs and poppers along the shore line and stumps. With the right line weight, taper and tippet/leader combination this is nearly effortless. Just don't bite down too hard when you have a good sized bass on, you might snap your stem!

I've not had any success at all trying to wade a stream and fish for trout, as Trout Bum said, it requires too much concentration, and one misstep and your pipe (and yourself) could go for an um-welcomed swim. My float tube method might work on really slow sections of river, but is doubtful in good riffles or rapids. :lol:

There is always this character to read, maybe he has some notes on the subject :cheers:

sparse.jpg

Sparse Grey Hackle

Kilted -- I am unfamiliar with this writer, which is fairly surprising, as I have read most of the usual suspects, such as Geriach, Traver, McGuane, Wulff, Grey, Lyons, etc. I will have to check this guy out, based solely on the ULTRA-CLASSIC photo you posted!

Sparse Grey Hackle goes way back. I have just purchased a few pipes and implements from the estate of Mel Krieger. I wish I had fished half the places these pipes have seen.

You purchased estate pipes formerly owned/smoked/fished by Mel Krieger??!!?
Wow, that is super cool! What kind of pipes, as in makes, shapes, etc?

Trout Bum":8zz2kbsm said:
Kilted -- I am unfamiliar with this writer, which is fairly surprising, as I have read most of the usual suspects, such as Geriach, Traver, McGuane, Wulff, Grey, Lyons, etc. I will have to check this guy out, based solely on the ULTRA-CLASSIC photo you posted!
Sparse Grey Hackle is one a collection of fly fishermen from the greater NYC area who frequently fished in the Catskills starting in the late 1800s and moving up through the 1940s-50s where my Dad grew up. They fished and chronicled their adventures, and methods in various periodicals, magazines and books. My Dad sent me a copy of Catskill Rivers: Birthplace of American Fly Fishing a couple of years ago, and this is where I first read about Sparse Grey Hackle. These men (and women!) were characters, but did much to help establish the art for the American Angler, adopting mainly English and German Flies, rods, and techniques for American waters. The history of our sport is fascinating and occupies a great deal of my 3 month long 'off season'.

My Dad was raised in Margrettsville on the East Branch of the Delaware River. He fished many of these same rivers growing up, in the 1930s - 40s the Beaverkill, Willowemoc Creek, Neversink River, Esopus Creek and others. He fished with bamboo (split cane) and early fiberglass fly rods. He's now nearly 80 years old and hasn't fished in many years, a shame really, as he never taught me anything about fly fishing. His lessons for us kids were cane poles and a coffee can full of night crawlers. I guess he didn't have the patience for teaching fly fishing techniques to three growing boys.

As I understand things those rivers he fished as a boy, now are very over populated by people during trout season and you must fish shoulder to shoulder with others, not a pleasant prospect to my mind. I crave solitude and big water, someday I hope to fish western waters, but my wind technique needs LOTS of work first. :lol: