NEW Hand Made RDPipes Cutty

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give ya all a look at what I have going right now in the way of pipes before I finish it.
It's made from Algerian briar with a hand cut ebonite stem and weighs as much as a breath of air. A big difference from the giants I'm accustom to making.

Just a bit smaller then I led on though.
It actually is 4-1/2"L x 1-1/2"h x 7/8"W x with a 1/2" chamber1" deep.
Had some scrap pieces of briar and seeing I'm out of blocks at the time I figured I'd keep myself busy doing this. I think it came out rather well for what it is. Maybe I'll use it as a key-chain or something.
Oh! and yes it does have a draft hole and is completely functional pipe............if you don't mind 2 minute smokes. ;)

Ocelot55":45vn54k9 said:
I love tiny pipes! Very cute!
Thanks Jesse, I was bored. Won't smoke it, just a nick nack I reckon.

nicely done Ron. I've seen many small pipes enjoyed by people that like the 10 minute smoke like you said. You have that shape down just right. Cheers.

docwatson":gamiw3yw said:
nicely done Ron. I've seen many small pipes enjoyed by people that like the 10 minute smoke like you said. You have that shape down just right. Cheers.
Thank you Doc! I personally like a bit longer smoke. ;)

MisterE":vuqjtnzb said:
I love that pipe, Ron! I'm a group 2 fan, so that one's just right! Bravo!
Thank you "E" but, right for what? :fpalm:

Cartaphilus":k2vhfixw said:
MisterE":k2vhfixw said:
Straight Perique. A nice little bowl of WHUMP! Perfect...........

Ron, this Cutty really hits all the marks! I can imaging a small pipe being more difficult to get right, without breaking it in the process.

Cartaphilus":gpbxvuu3 said:
MisterE":gpbxvuu3 said:
Right size for smoking! It's about the same size as my favorite pipes in my collection. Most are between bowl size 2-3, a couple of group 1's too.

Fatman":0pd60v8m said:
Ron, this Cutty really hits all the marks! I can imaging a small pipe being more difficult to get right, without breaking it in the process.
Yes sir, it was a real pain even trying to sand it being there wasn't enough to hold on too and still be able to sand. I even had to cut my own chamber bit cause it's so small (1/2"). I don't remember right off hand what the draft hole size is but, the mortise and tenon are 5/32" so the draft had to be in the neighborhood of 5/64". I still need to take a bit more off the stem and it's getting scary because right now the bite zone is at 5/32" and I probably have maybe a 1/16" more to take off, that's 1/32" from each side. So, it's certainly keeping me on pins and needles working on it. :fpalm: But, believe it or not I am having fun doing it..........as long as nothing goes wrong. ;)

MisterE":1bpi83az said:
Cartaphilus":1bpi83az said:
MisterE":1bpi83az said:
Right size for smoking! It's about the same size as my favorite pipes in my collection. Most are between bowl size 2-3, a couple of group 1's too.
You don't believe in long smokes do you sir? ;)

It is small... so small. But also so cool. Might be nice for a quick taste of something new, or straight perique like Wiz said... and 4 1/2" really isn't too short.

Just gona set it or hang it somewhere and let it be, I've got full grown pipes I haven't smoke yet for god's sake. Why pick on such a little guy? ;)

Cartaphilus":jwkfm5gg said:
Just gona set it or hang it somewhere and let it be, I've got full grown pipes I haven't smoke yet for god's sake. Why pick on such a little guy? ;)
Ha, good point. It'll look good on the wall.

Old Nate":tu86ggfn said:
Cartaphilus":tu86ggfn said:
Ha, good point. It'll look good on the wall.
Yeah, Now I have to make a Mini pipe rack. :fpalm:

A folded flake would burn quite a while in that. Small pipes are not to be discounted; I have a rather small bowl diameter Castello (which I didn't even know they made) that I love for morning smokes. Size and weight-wise, it handles more like a pencil than a pipe. One of my from-my-cold-dead-hands pipes.

Richard Burley":kxn3rs3e said:
A folded flake would burn quite a while in that. Small pipes are not to be discounted; I have a rather small bowl diameter Castello (which I didn't even know they made) that I love for morning smokes. Size and weight-wise, it handles more like a pencil than a pipe. One of my from-my-cold-dead-hands pipes.
Interesting, I've always enjoyed my tobacco in much larger pipes with the exception of cobs but, from what I've been hearing/reading a lot of folks like this size in which to smoke.
Now we'll have to rethink my whole production of pipes (as little it be) in a whole new way maybe.

Cartaphilus":sl1ckzi7 said:
Richard Burley":sl1ckzi7 said:
Interesting, I've always enjoyed my tobacco in much larger pipes with the exception of cobs but, from what I've been hearing/reading a lot of folks like this size in which to smoke.
Now we'll have to rethink my whole production of pipes (as little it be) in a whole new way maybe.
Whoa, partner! This pipe smoking thing is a hit-or-miss affair. You're doing OK as is. My best pipe for smoking McC's 2015, for example, has a full one-inch bore, so no universal principles here, please. ;)

Richard Burley":0us3me6h said:
Cartaphilus":0us3me6h said:
Richard Burley":0us3me6h said:
Whoa, partner! This pipe smoking thing is a hit-or-miss affair. You're doing OK as is. My best pipe for smoking McC's 2015, for example, has a full one-inch bore, so no universal principles here, please. ;)
Don't fret sir, I was only kidding, it's hard enough doing what I do now much less change things. :fpalm: