New hand made sawmill knife.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
This is a skinner I hand made from a chunk out of an old sawmill blade. Not sure of the steel type but i killed 3 drill bit getting through the steel to drill the pin holes, definitely hard! I hand ground it on a belt sander slowly and cooled constantly to keep the temperature down and make sure it kept it's temper. I did get it sharp and to stay sharp. It can shave hair off your arm and stayed sharp after cutting through some card board. The scales are blue stabilized maple burl. This is the first blade that I have made from top to bottom. This is a picture before I hit it with the buffer.

18521_827819850623285_363449110429121850_n.jpg

Well done sir, I like it!
Now what's it look like after the buffer? :scratch:

Great job Ian. I like the idea of recycling the saw mill blade and that handle is something else. I too am looking forward to seeing how it buffs up. Yup, the colours in that handle are amazing.

That is an amazing looking knife Ian! Can't wait to see what it looks like when you get the final polish on there.

Jim

Thanks guys it was a blast to make! The top edge isn't sharpened just did a faux grind on it to give it that look. I'll get some more pictures up once I make the sheath for it. Been busy with babies and jobs. :D

Yes I've noticed that too and hope all is well and that he's just been busy. I'm also looking forward to the buffed out and polished photos of this very impressive knife.

I emailed Ian last night, just to check in...per your concerns mentioned above. Received the following reply this a.m.:

"I've been good David.

Just been really busy with life lately. Don't remember if I posted on BOB but my step dad had passed away a little over 6 months ago and then I had my third child on April 4th. I have been helping out my mother and working occasionally in the family restaurant now that he is gone. Also doing all the things that come with a 2 month old lol. Still been using my pipes and making knives. I'll get on soon and give everyone and update.

Thanks,
Ian Keenum"

It would seem all is well. A case of life getting in the way of recreation.

Thanks for the concern guys, just been busy with life lately. Don't remember if posted but a little over 8 months ago my step dad passed from lymphoma, and my wife gave birth to my third child on 4/4/15. I started working a second job by helping out at the family restaurant since he passed. Still working on knives and smoking my pipes, just been keeping busy is all.

I'm doing good and glad you guys are concerned. Here it is polished up Ended up trading for about 2 hours of tatto work for my wife wife's birth day. She got our three sons names in the work.

10983240_828158297256107_5573236556651072027_n.jpg

22429_838498289555441_706506292192715593_n.jpg