New Lighter - Tsubota Pearl “Eddie”

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeGeek

Reaction score
I've been in the market for a new pipe lighter. I bought a cheaper one when I got back into the hobby, but I've found it a bit... lacking. I do all my smoking outdoors, and trying to get a lighter to light in the wind can be frustrating. I also travel, which means I don't want to invest in a torch lighter.

I had just about decided to suck it up and just by an Old Boy, but then I read this:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/5/31/pearls-of-the-orient.html

Being the geek that I am, this lighter really appealed to me. So now that I had the funds save up for the Old Boy, and since these lighters weren't ALL that more expensive, I picked up one from P&C:

The specific one I got was this one: http://pipesandcigars.com/peedpiliglbl.html

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Oh, and I also got some cleaning supplies and some of the natural Missouri Corncob pipes. And some Storm Front from 4noggins.

Somebody stop me! :)

Geez, for that money you coulda bought the famed "Old Boy" lighter everyone swoons over. Hope it's a good spark, dude. Lighters are probably my most frustrating part of piping so far.

I got to play around with some Dupont lighters...what a finicky and stupid system... only $700+. :shock:

Sheesh, since you were over at P&C I should have had you grab some Connecticut Yankee, co-blended by a Brother here--it's in a genre similar to Storm Front and I can't stay away from the stuff.

You won't regret your cobs or the Storm Front. In fact, in honor of your out-of-control TAD and accessories, I think I'll go have a bit for my daily. 8) Good suggestion.

I think you made a good choice. These have been made by a family in Japan for a long time now, not some China sourced piece of junk with an Italian (or other) name on it.

Here are some things that Mr. Roan wrote that led me to give this lighter a try:

Neill Archer Roan":y9b44sss said:
As I was walking down the aisle, I cast my eyes to the left where I saw a display of Old Boy lighters.
This seems to indicate that Mr. Roan does consider these to be Old Boy lighters. Or maybe Old Boy-style?

Neill Archer Roan":y9b44sss said:
Miss Tsubota told me that her engineer-father invented the design, one of the best parts of which has both a stainless steel pick and a tamper that swing out of a tube referred to as the “companion.” These tools are designed to swing out and stop at a slightly acute angle (smaller than 90 degrees) so that the user does not have to raise the arm or torque the wrist in order to use them.

[...]

Anyone who has used an old boy lighter knows that they are nearly impossible to light in any sort of breeze at all. The wake from a butterfly’s wing will blow out an old boy lighter – unless it is a Pearl.
I am astonished to discover that the Pearl lights and stays lit outdoors, even in a breeze. This reliability is due to there being two orifices from which the butane emerges. Other old boy lighters have only one orifice. So there are actually two flames that appear as one, and they reinforce each others’ presence. Having used the lighter now for a month, I can report that it almost always lights at first strike and it stays lit. Wow. This simple engineering improvement means that I don’t have to plan around the possibility of wind when I smoke outside.
This was the main bit that convinced me. I'm fighting with my current (non-Old Boy) lighter as it is. If a "standard" Old Boy wasn't going to improve the situation, there really wasn't any reason to invest in one. The description of the design really appeals to the geek in me. I'm very anxious to see if it proves out.

I've been very "lighter-shy" recently.

My apologies for any doubts--but, I still want to hear about this one six months from now.

The fact there are two butane outputs rather than one is interesting (as I've heard Old Boy models are hard to deal with outside), and they look damn cool. 8)

Kyle Weiss":gp5av3az said:
My apologies for any doubts--but, I still want to hear about this one six months from now.
No need for apologies. I admire and practice skepticism. It's a very promising design and I want to give it a shot. I, too, am hopeful it will stand the test of time.

My lighter came in today (along with my corn cobs, yay!). I broke it in on a corn cob of Storm Front.

It is an old-boy style, as suspected. It has a nice large tank and lights very, very well. As for performance in wind, It's much better than a regular lighter but not a silver bullet. It'll go out in good gusts, but once I got the flame adjusted well it performed admirably. I like it, and I also like that I don't have to switch between lighter and tamper, as the built-in tamper is very convenient.

If you are considering an Old Boy lighter and have an extra 10 bucks to spare, I'd give this lighter serious consideration. I'll post back in a month or so for an update.

OK - this is confession time. Based on your recommendation I went ahead and obtained the following item, based on the reputation of excellence, the swing-out tool set, reported high fuel capacity, the 'lights outside in the wind' ability,a the fact that it takes any and all flints and the fact that I do need a good looking lighter on a number of public social occasions at which I am expected to put on a quasi-normal front.

My choice:

(I wish they made one in matte black like the old boy finish, or black ice like the zippo. Then I could do my Johnny Depp Pirate thing as I'd own a Black Pearl) - sorry.

I do like the polished silver with machined lines though - pretty classic.

images

Blackhorse":no8tzkf8 said:
OK - this is confession time. Based on your recommendation I went ahead and obtained the following item, based on the reputation of excellence, the swing-out tool set, reported high fuel capacity, the 'lights outside in the wind' ability,a the fact that it takes any and all flints and the fact that I do need a good looking lighter on a number of public social occasions at which I am expected to put on a quasi-normal front.

My choice:

(I wish they made one in matte black like the old boy finish, or black ice like the zippo. Then I could do my Johnny Depp Pirate thing as I'd own a Black Pearl) - sorry.

I do like the polished silver with machined lines though - pretty classic.
Nice! It won't light in a gale, like I said in this thread, but it's way better than my normal lighter. The polished silver is very nice, but I'm partial to black. I didn't like the fake/fancy options, so the plain black was the way to go for me. Nice that they do have some finish options.

Can't wait to get your impression of it.

Old Boy made a few with actual briar "furniture," and polished chrome or brass hardware. If these guys do the same or similar, it may push me to the brink. I like the tool set, very hand for travel and out-and-about. 8)

PipeGeek":m2nb6vqw said:
I like it, and I also like that I don't have to switch between lighter and tamper, as the built-in tamper is very convenient.

I might have to get one myself, that built-in tamper looks super convenient.

Interesting thread.

Frankly I haven't spent more than about $20 for any lighter, be it for pipes or cigars. Got some duffs here and there but found ones that proved to be reliable. The IMCO and Zippo come to mind. No problem with either of them.

I've read with interest the accounts of dedicated Old Boy supporters on other threads as well as here. I get the issue of reliability. Just can't justify the price, or the Pearl despite the accolades.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers,

RR

That's funny, a week ago I read the same blog. I rush over to Pipes and Cigars and ordered one of these:

eddypearllighter.jpg

Sometimes you just have to buy something deluxe.

What is the update with these for those of you that bought them? I would like to buy one of these or an Old Boy but due to wind I am partial to this one.

The other day I lit my pipe with mine...then, still lit, handed it to a friend to light his cigar. All this outside and in a mild breeze. No Old Boy in the world could do that. As an outside only smoker, it's the one for me.

I am completely satisfied with this lighter. It is by far the best pipe lighter I have ever owned. I love having everything I need in one small package. I would highly recommend this product.