New Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleksis

Reaction score
_MG_2183.JPG

Made from whole block Meerschaum, lightly used. This is my first new pipe (my other pipes were inherited from my Dad), a gift from my husband. As a former florist, I had to have it. :)

Any tips for Meerschaum care and smoking?

Aleksis":i4yslbis said:
_MG_2183.JPG

Made from whole block Meerschaum, lightly used. This is my first new pipe (my other pipes were inherited from my Dad), a gift from my husband. As a former florist, I had to have it. :)

That can be a whole can of worms around here!
Nice meer.

Beautiful pipe, Sister of Briar.

With you working at a tobacconist, I can see the pipe smoking appeal.

Very nice Meer. I don't want to open a can of worms here, but i'll see if I can help a little.

To me, a Meer provides the driest and most authentic flavor from the tobacco. Dry in that their porosity is great, and they excel in smoking moist blends. This also means they dry out between smokes faster than most others. Meerschaum pipes also have the most neutral flavor, meaning that new Briars and especially Cobs all influence the tobacco's flavor for the first two or three smokes. Not so with Meer's.

As far as care, some handle them and some don't. The only thing i've ever really stuck to with meers is to not let them build a cake. With a solid cake in the bowl they don't 'breathe' as well, nor do they color as quickly. Not having a cake also prevents them from Ghosting.

Here is a quick link that might help you as well.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in soon with more tips/suggestions for you. 8)

Aleksis":j8750epj said:
_MG_2183.JPG

That's a beautiful meer !! As for care, I'd second the minimal cake build-up ( I have never let mine get more than a dime's thickness if that to build) and I personally hold it at the juncture of the stem/shank and try not to hold it by the bowl while smoking with a good drying/cooling period before I put it back in the case. I'd give it a day between smokes to allow it to dry well depending on the type of tobacco smoked in it though I have smoked some of mine once every day at times. Due to the fragility of the stone (they will break if dropped on a hard floor!) I only smoke mine while sitting, not while I'm walking around doing other stuff while smoking as I do with my briars. They are some of the BEST pipes to really get the true flavor of the 'bac your smoking out of ! Enjoy that beautiful pipe ! :p

Harlock999":prsz6iye said:
Aleksis":prsz6iye said:
_MG_2183.JPG

That can be a whole can of worms around here!
Nice meer.
Oops, didn't mean to open a can of worms! :lol:

I read some advice about meerschaums from a pipe website out loud to my Dad and his response was, "That's all wrong!" So I can see why there's some controversy.

(And I keep mentioning my Dad; I am grown woman. I just consult him a lot about pipes because, well, he's been smoking them since he was 14).

Hi there :)
Thats one lovely meerschaum, i have quite a few myself and i handle them (with clean hands) all the time, and some of them are starting to colour up really nicely (the rest are too new) I also made up my own mixture of bee's wax to re-coat the outside of the bowl from time to time, (basically when the shine wears off a bit) i do this whilst smoking so the wax melts in a bit, then polish off gently with a cloth when the pipes cooled (after a few hours) and I use an old chapstick tube and carefully melt a little beeswax down, and add a teaspoon or so of olive oil to the wax and pour it in the tube, This is a trick i learnt from "The meerschaum King" a real nice helpful guy by the name of Jason, he responds to everyones comments as soon as he can, and has a tonne of videos on meerschaum care and techniques and so on.

To find his channel, Go on youtube.com and type in Jasons user name to the searchbar which is jjjuscfan8 and click on all videos, You can subscribe to his channel to find him easier.

anyway like i said, he is very very knowledgable on the subject, having spent around 50 years smoking them and has tried just about every technique there is, So thats my advice to you, (i follow his to the letter) and i really hope i was of some help to you.

Daniel

Yeah, you can only use the beeswax from virgin bees during the first day of spring, wear filigree gloves inlaid with dodo feathers to hold it, and light with matches exactly 4 3/32" long made from wood harvested from ancient shipwrecks.

Or, you can just stuff that beauty with some 'bacca and fire it up. 8)

Nice pipe, lass--don't let these boys mess with ya.

Kyle Weiss":epgl1rp1 said:
Yeah, you can only use the beeswax from virgin bees during the first day of spring, wear filigree gloves inlaid with dodo feathers to hold it, and light with matches exactly 4 3/32" long made from wood harvested from ancient shipwrecks.

:lol!:...... you say that, and we're the one's to watch for??? :monkey:

I'm her best chance: a perfectly intelligent gentleman with absolutely zero ulterior motive. 8)

Who knows what angle you could be trying to work? Don't trust him. :lol!:

Kyle Weiss":euhnb9eu said:

Bwahaha! :lol: I've been reading up on it and some things are that extreme. I didn't realize I was getting a second job when I purhased a meerschaum ;-). That being said, it is a treasure and I do want to treat it well.

A real beauty. Carved meers don't always appeal to me, but that one sure does (not the typical figural, no offense to those who own them). Enjoy getting some color in it and don't fret too much about care. Having said that, they don't drop or ding well....

Kyle Weiss":523yfamz said:

:lol: Nice...

Kyle Weiss":xw62ck6h said:
I'm her best chance: a perfectly intelligent gentleman with absolutely zero ulterior motive. 8)
I don't know if "gentleman" and "zero ulterior motive" can be used in the same sentence... 8)