Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Longbottom Leaf

Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm new to pipe smoking and a new member of "Brothers Of Briar". I just smoked my first pipe the other day with a good friend of mine (who is also new to pipe smoking) it was a cob pipe. I loved it, it was a great time, and very relaxing. I just ordered my first Estate Briar pipe online and it should be here by the end of the week! I hope to learn what there is to know about pipe smoking from you men who know best.

Can you all please give some tips, advice, and/or suggestions for me a new pipe smoker?

Could I also get some suggestions as to some great pipe tobacco's to try?

Could I also get some suggestions as to some really nice pipes I should save up for?

I just bought my first pipe for $15.00 + $3.00. Hope it was a good buy and will work out well for a first pipe.

Here is the description of the pipe I just bought of Ebay:

Estate pipe stamped: Wally Frank LTD., Humileigh, imported briar is 5 1/4 inches long by 1 3/4 inches tall. Good pipe bowl has a small fill and minute' ding and mild scuff on the shank bottom. Good screw on stem and stinger. Bent pipe with no cracks, no bite marks, no damages other than noted, stampings are good, pipe has been sanitized. Sold as is described.

Thank you!

Welcome!
My advice: Don't over think pipe smoking. It's a simple pleasure. Best to keep it that way.

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here

Harlock's advice is sound.

I'll add: don't rush anything. Take your time. Don't be in a hurry to buy a bunch of pipes and tobacco... It will be difficult not to but in the long run you'll have quality stuff and stuff that you really like. Cobs are awesome for beginners and veterans alike. Sounds like you got a nice briar for less than $20. It's hard to recommend tobacco (or pipes for that matter) because so much of this hobby is based on personal tastes... Only way to find out what you like is to just start trying stuff! What did you smoke in your cob with your buddy?

Shoot me a PM sometime. I'd be happy to send you a few different tobaccos to sample.

Oh, and don't get too caught up in "advice" (even mine lol) just have fun :)

Welcome to the forums and to our pastime! I hope you enjoy both!

"T"

Welcome to the forum. Reading the recent & older articles will give you HOURS of pleasure and more than enough tips to help you in your journey. Of course someone is always on here to help with questions you might have as well.

Cobs are fine. Many of us veterans here use them in our daily rotation. Don't overlook basket pipes and your local B&M (Tobacco Shop), as many of these are really good smokers at a reasonable price.

Sounds like a decent estate pipe you have coming. Most of them are decent smokers, and some are great smokers. Hopefully yours will meet and exceed your expectations. I have several estates in my collection, and all are keepers.

Good luck with your new hobby. It can easily become an obsession. Just don't get discouraged, these things take some time, practice, and patience.

Welcome Sir.

There will be pleanty of time to learn the answers to your many questions (and the many more you will surely have as a pipe smoker). On the forum there are many cool people with lots of pipe smoking experience. Enjoy learning about pipes and tobaccos for the learning never ends!! :D

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you on board. The advice given "take your time" and "be patient" is golden. Heed this and your new hobby will bring much pleasure. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you all! This is wonderful advice from experienced pipe smokers!

I really appreciate it and will head all the advice you have given! To answer s.ireland question (by the way s.ireland I did PM you) we had two smokes the first smoke we had LL7 bulk and the second smoke we mixed 50/50 BCA bulk (that we got from our downtown tobacco shop) and Half and Half.

I'm so looking forward to my new hobby/pastime!

Welcome! There's a lot of good info here and there are folks that can answer any of your questions. The best thing is that there are always new pipes and tobaccos to try, so yoou won't get bored!

OMG, where to begin...thats a lot of questions right out the gate...:lol!:

Welcome to the group