Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
Hello:

Just joined and will need help with packing and lighting but for now, the introduction.

I have been a long time collector/smoker of rare and hard to find cigars.  Ten years ago, I took up the pipe and became addicted but I just couldn't get the packing and lighting correct and lost interest due to relighting and burnt tongue. LOL

Last week I finally decided to sell my large collection of pipes, tobacco and accessories and in the process of inventorying everything to list it on Craigslist I became interested again.  I am still going to sell 90% of what I have but it just wouldn't be right to not smoke an occasional bowl in my new man-cave.

I hope to read enough and practice enough to get beyond the constant relight and be able to enjoy smoking something a little less powerful than an Opus X cigar.

High hopes!

Welcome to the site. I think it is a great site with a lot of information and darn friendly.

Stone, you'll find plenty of helpful info on the site to aid your technique. It's something we all go through on this journey so you're not alone. And you may want to hang onto your stash for the time being as once packing and smoking become better for you, you may regret selling it now.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks!

I am sure that as I get the hang of it I will miss some of my pipes and tobacco but I don't need 40 pipes and a cooler full of tobacco.....I hope :lol: I should be able to find a handful of pipes that I like the best. Besides, if I get hooked again I can buy more stuff! LOL

Stone":ppw12o2l said:
Thanks!

I am sure that as I get the hang of it I will miss some of my pipes and tobacco but I don't need 40 pipes and a cooler full of tobacco.....I hope :lol:  I should be able to find a handful of pipes that I like the best.  Besides, if I get hooked again I can buy more stuff! LOL
Well, you may want to know that some of the brands you have in your cooler will have aged and matured which is desirable. And a brand like McClelland is no longer in production if you have any. Plus, the cost of 'baccy will never go down if you see what I mean.

Just sayin'.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":xwm6nob1 said:
Stone":xwm6nob1 said:
Thanks!

I am sure that as I get the hang of it I will miss some of my pipes and tobacco but I don't need 40 pipes and a cooler full of tobacco.....I hope :lol:  I should be able to find a handful of pipes that I like the best.  Besides, if I get hooked again I can buy more stuff! LOL
Well, you may want to know that some of the brands you have in your cooler will have aged and matured which is desirable. And a brand like McClelland is no longer in production if you have any. Plus, the cost of 'baccy will never go down if you see what I mean.

Just sayin'.

Cheers,

RR
Great point on the tobacco. I better keep the Stonehaven then LOL

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Brewdude has good information you're seeking. Heed his words! ;)

Ozark Wizard":c2s4kwhh said:
Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Brewdude has good information you're seeking. Heed his words! ;)
This 100%.

And welcome!

Here you go, Stone, this chap's tutorial is pretty good and serves as a good starting point. He has a nice pipe smoking 'ethic' too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3spD-ASQds

Here's my take on the 3 pack method shown in the clip above that has served me well. Packing is a personal thing so everyone has their own take and will modify according to their own preference.

Assuming you're not packing a flake and you've dedicated ample time to the experience (you can't rush these things!)...

1. Trickle the baccy into your pipe until it's at the top of the bowl. Tap the side to settle the baccy down and top up to the top of the bowl if necessary.

2. Gentle press the baccy down to half the depth of the bowl.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Gently press the baccy down to 3/4 the depth of the bowl (1/4 left empty at the top).

5. Repeat step 1.

6. Gently press down to just under the pipe's rim.

7. Check the draw. The resistance should feel like sucking juice through a straw. Anymore than that and you'll need to repack.

8. 1st charring light: drawing gently, tickle the surface of the baccy with a yellow flame. Draw a few times, long and gentle.

9. Gently tamp down the surface.

10. 2nd charring light. Repeat step 8.

11. Tamp again.

12. Relight, sit back and enjoy.

Subsequent relights are, in most instances, inevitable and shouldn't always be considered a measure of good technique; there's too many variables at play.

Good luck old bean, let us know how things progress.

Stick":is4tnrbm said:
Here you go, Stone, this chap's tutorial is pretty good and serves as a good starting point.  He has a nice pipe smoking 'ethic' too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3spD-ASQds

Here's my take on the 3 pack method shown in the clip above that has served me well.  Packing is a personal thing so everyone has their own take and will modify according to their own preference.

Assuming you're not packing a flake and you've dedicated ample time to the experience (you can't rush these things!)...

1.  Trickle the baccy into your pipe until it's at the top of the bowl.  Tap the side to settle the baccy down and top up to the top of the bowl if necessary.

2.  Gentle press the baccy down to half the depth of the bowl.

3.  Repeat step 1.

4.  Gently press the baccy down to 3/4 the depth of the bowl (1/4 left empty at the top).

5.  Repeat step 1.

6.  Gently press down to just under the pipe's rim.

7.  Check the draw.  The resistance should feel like sucking juice through a straw.  Anymore than that and you'll need to repack.

8.  1st charring light:  drawing gently, tickle the surface of the baccy with a yellow flame.  Draw a few times, long and gentle.

9.  Gently tamp down the surface.

10.  2nd charring light.  Repeat step 8.

11.  Tamp again.

12.  Relight, sit back and enjoy.

Subsequent relights are, in most instances, inevitable and shouldn't always be considered a measure of good technique; there's too many variables at play.

Good luck old bean, let us know how things progress.
You've got it in one mate.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Welcome aboard, both Stick’s and Brewdude’s advice are spot on in my opinion. Also don’t be afraid of relights. They will get fewer over time as your technique improves.

Cheers

Tim

Welcome to the BoB!! I can only echo the good advice above about holding on to your 'baccy collection!! You just might have some "Crown Jewels" in that cooler!! :cheers: FTRPLT