New Missouri Meerschaum Freehand Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The natural Freehand is the most amazing cob I've ever smoked, and equal to any pipe I've ever had. But then, any of the natural models are a step up, IMNSHO, over their stanard cobs, which are very decent pipes too. Besides smoking both cooler and drier, they're also lighrt in weight than the standard versions.

tiltjlp":5pg8bjcx said:
The natural Freehand is the most amazing cob I've ever smoked, and equal to any pipe I've ever had. But then, any of the natural models are a step up, IMNSHO, over their stanard cobs, which are very decent pipes too. Besides smoking both cooler and drier, they're also lighrt in weight than the standard versions.
I was pleasantly surprised how well it smoked. It tasted good also. Even the smell of the bowl was good after the smoke was over. All in all it was a good thing. It really weighs next to nothing too. Easy on the jaw as i'm a chomper when it comes to any pipe.

I've a selection of cobs that range from antiques with bamboo stems to the new current models and love to smoke them when I'm fishing. And it's always a burley blend. My favorite is a newer bulldog shape with a maple plug in the bottom which makes the pipe last for years, it doesn't get wet and fall apart like some of the cobs without the bottom plug. Is MM the only maker of cobs today?
Doc

MM is the only maker of quality cobs. There are some cobs made in China, which reportedly often fall apart during the first smoke. There are several people, such as Jack Hackert and Walker Briar Works who adapt MM cobs either with custom stems or shanks for resale.

Thanks tilt,
Some years ago I bought a spool shaped cob with a deer antler shank and can't for the life of me remember who made it or where I bought it, but it's a great cob. So maybe it was a Hackett or Walker.

docwatson":tmjuw6sc said:
Thanks tilt,
Some years ago I bought a spool shaped cob with a deer antler shank and can't for the life of me remember who made it or where I bought it, but it's a great cob. So maybe it was a Hackett or Walker.
That would have been from Jack Hackert, whose name I had wrong before. You can read more about him here.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Hackert