New Old Peterson 999, unsmoked

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous pipe, but unless you simply favor acrylic over vulcanite, it doesn't seem like you'd need to get a new stem -- a little Brasso, judiciously applied, should have it black as midnight in no time. Being historically minded, I'd personally like to keep the original hardware intact.

Yeah, I hate vulcanite and seriously dislike P Lips, so it's outta here.

Oh, I hadn't seen the P-lip. Yes, then by all means cast it into the fiery furnace of Hell. BTW, I have a Peterson Baskerville that I'd smoke non-stop if it weren't for the danged P-lip -- what's you're recommendation for where to go to get it fishtailized?

Charmowitz":alnhlh10 said:
Oh, I hadn't seen the P-lip. Yes, then by all means cast it into the fiery furnace of Hell. BTW, I have a Peterson Baskerville that I'd smoke non-stop if it weren't for the danged P-lip -- what's you're recommendation for where to go to get it fishtailized?
I've sent four Pete's to these folks to get replacement fishtailed Ebonite bits rather than try to get the P-Lips modified. Was faster and really more cost effective and they do great work. I highly recomend Walker Briar Works :
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/index.html

I think the best pipe repair/restoration guy out there is George Dibos at www.precisionpiperepair.com but he's presently backed up considerably with, I'm told, no intention of taking on new work for a little while. If you're in no hurry, I'd contact him and get a foot in the door for future work. If you want it done now, I've heard good things about Walker Briar Works, and Mark Tinsky at amsmoke.com is excellent. Tim West at jhlowe.com has a good rep, as does nightowlpipeworks.com. You'd have to call around and see which of them might have an acrylic blank they could use to create a custom stem with.