"NEW" old pipes and tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Abit of background first to explain the title of this post. I currently ( for 18 years now) am single but have been married a few times in the past :(
I was going through some boxes in a closet in one of the bedrooms in my house ( moved here 17 years ago) and found a boxe all taped up and marked "pipe stuff" on the side! Took it out, opened it up and found two racks and 12 pipes I thought I'd lost some years ago! They were some GBD's and Savanelli's I used to smoke, all Bulldogs in the box as well as a white paper bag marked "The Smokers Shop" which came from an old smoke shop that was in Downtown Dallas, Texas till around 1990. I opened the bag up and inside was a 50g tin of 965 along with a "can opener" topped 100g tin of Red Rapparree !! Both un-opened and looked to be still sealed! Along with the baccy were two BRAND NEW English pipes in their socks in their boxes !! One was a smooth, goup 3 sized GBD Century with the price tag still on it as well as a Black, Shell blasted "Thorneycroft" BBB, around a group 3 size as well !!! A very faded receipt was in the bag and was dated October 10, 1975 !! I paid $4.89 for the RR, $5.79 for the 965 and $20.98 for the BBB and $28.98 for the GBD !!!- :p :p Needless to say I was EXSTATIC !!!
I opened the RR and other than being a bit dryer than I remember it used to be it smelled FANTASTIC and so I loaded up a 1/2 bowl of it in the BBB and lit her up !! The RR was a bit warm but oh so smooth and far different from my memory ! I put a small pouch moistener in the RR and this morning it felt "normal" to me so I loaded up a 1/2 bowl in the GBD and WHAT a DIFFERENCE, no more heat just smooooooth and tasty, the same as I recall this 'bac tasting when I used to smoke it!! I guess some age works wonders on pipes as well as 'baccy :p As to why I never smoked them, my first divorce was taking place around then so I guess I just put 'em away to get to later! I'm looking forward to opening that tin of 965 later this month when I have finished my current 18 yo tin I'm smoking! Nothing "shakes" in the tin so I'm presuming the seal is still good !! Made my day for sure !! :p :p

Wowza! What a sweet surprise! But you know how badly 965 ages though. I'd be happy to take that off your hands to spare you the misery of smoking it. ;)

That's better than finding a $20 bill in the pocket of a jacket you haven't worn in a long time!

Also, what Josjor said... pics please!

Josjor":c3sgolzk said:
Pics or it didn't happen.:D

I'm finding it hard to believe you as well. Perhaps mailing me one of your findings would suffice, but I'm not sure. :bounce:

Congratulations on your long lost find.

Did the divorce thing but never found anything I cared to afterwards..oh well, congrats on the nice surprise!

Sweet find! Especially with the receipt included to see just how much things have changed.
I've actually been planning my own time capsule...see ya in 10 years!

That is a super descovery . I guess its true every dog has his day. I have gotten a couple of GBDs lately and I like the old pipes.

What a great find, congrats. I too did the divorce thing sad to say but lucky for me I wasnt smoking pipes back then so she only got the chrildren, car, house, and most of my soul... but now I have my pipes all to myself :D .
Best Regards
Richard

If only we could all find a carefully sealed and apparently well packed pipe box in the back of our closets! That's a wonderful suprise, and one that I'm sure is well deserved.

I've never smoked anything that old and can't imagine what sort of changes take place in a tobacco over all of those years. I have a few cigars that are going to be a decade old, but that's quite a leap from what you've stumbled across.

I mean I hope my life doesn't ever get so complicated that I would stop smoking :lol: or lose sight of all that you found.

I went thru a divorce and I know it can get difficult and distracting but I didn't let it interfer with Fishing Golfing Drinking and Smoking.

Romance did take a hit for a while, but I'm past that now.

Great Find!! I had a similar experience, finding two Charatan Freehands about a year ago, I completely forgot about in storage. As I stated on another thread... much like real estate, I am glad I bought my collection before the current market.