New old pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"sam"

Reaction score
I just got back a couple of pipes from Walker Pipe Repair that were a bit beyond my ability to properly clean, and I'm extremely pleased with the results. The Charatan was my father's pipe, he told me he purchased it in the mid-to-late 70's. Depending on how fuzzy his memory is the pipe is probably either a late unstamped Lane-era or a Dunhill-owned one. Either way it smokes great. I'm not a huge fan of vulcanite or saddle bits, so I had Mr. Myers fit a simple lucite stem to it; he also cleaned and sanitized the original stem. The Comoy's was my grandfather's pipe and was probably purchased in the 50's.

Great looking pipes and they come with memories of the men they belonged to!!!!

Those are some nice examples of each firms work! Walker Pipe Works does GREAT work. I have used them for years and still will! As to your Charatan, it probably pre dates the Dunhill era as they were wan't to xxxxx out the Charatan stampings and even though Lane owned the firm by the late 70's, many of the European market pipes did not have the L in the circle stamped on them so it's probably one of the "good" ones as some are want to say. Really though, all Charatan's up until the time Dunhill shut them down were good smokers made from good , aged and cured briar! I have 6 pipes that were my father's that I've had stem work done by Walker ( they were bought back in '46 and needed new stems) and smoke 'em all the time. 3 Barlings and 3 Petersons and they are special as I'm sure these are and will be for you :cheers:

Love those old pipes, that Comoy...love those Comoys and the Charatan is top notch also.

Beautifully done. I'm sure you will enjoy many years of pleasant smoking out of those jewels.

That's some great Birdseye grain on the Charatan Perfection and a super crosscut on the Comoy. Both nice vintage pipes that I'm sure you will enjoy for generations to come. :cheers: