New Pipe Smoker from South Carolina

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfactor87

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am not entirely new to pipe smoking but I will claim that I am so that I may get suggestions and tips from fellow, much more experienced smokers. I smoked my first pipe last winter. I'd treated myself to a cheap $7.00 corncob from a local Tobacco Shop, bought 2oz of the local blend and began to awkwardly smoke my way through it. I didn't know the first thing about pipe smoking but I knew that I was extremely interested in the hobby; my interest was first sparked when I was much younger. I was with my grandfather almost everyday and he was a heavy pipe/cigar/cigarette smoker and I was just intrigued by the way the pipe looked and smelled. Very distinguished.

I stopped smoking the corncob after about two months (probably b/c of my lack of knowledge, etc.) and then just forgot about it. However, my interest and desire to take it up again, though more informed, never left me. So I began my research again and stumbled upon this site, which, through my browsing, has imparted me with quite a bit of knowledge. And just recently I bought "The Ultimate Pipe Book" by Richard Carlton Hacker and am busily flying through those pages. Also, I am hoping to buy myself a medium-prized briar soon for "my first pipe" and hope many years and many pleasant bowlfuls will follow in its wake. Any advice?

So here I am in need of knowledge and feeling much more comfortable now that I have found (and know about) fellow pipe smokers that have either enjoyed the desire for the habit, like myself, or have enjoyed a pleasantly relaxing bowlful day in and day out for years and years. Hello again and glad to be here.

Matt

Hi Matt, Glad to have you here and I know you will get plenty of answers to any questions you might have. I've been smoking a pipe for about 30 years but only as a hobby and never that heavily. Then I stumbled on this site like you did and I have been trying to come up to speed on tobaccos. Pipes tend to be whatever fits your hand well and smokes cool and smooth. I've had expensive pipes that do this and cheap pipes that do this. Tobaccos are another story though and I am trying to learn. The guys here are fantastic and you will soon be drooling over pipes you want. I still want the one in my avatar but no one has bought it for me. I just can't figure that out.

Hey Matt, cool avatar, welcome to the BoB. I'm sure you will find much information and advice from the superb bunch of fellows round here.
RolandChayer-WelcomeSmiley.gif

welcome to the forum...and post up some pics for us....of anything.

Glad you joined the BoB.. Great bunch of people here and lots to learn.. :cheers:

Welcome to BoB!

I love your avatar! What I want to know is how you got one of my baby pictures??? :lol: :lol:

As far as pipes are concerned, a good portion of pipe smokers love corn cob pipes! And, when it comes to cobs, Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs are the best money can buy!!!

When looking for a briar, you might want to check out Ebay's estate pipes. Estate simply means they are previously owned. The nice thing about estate pipes is the fact that you can quickly build your collection with a whole lot less investment than you would have to lay out for the same pipes if you bought them new!

Good luck!! And, enjoy your journey!!!

Robert

Welcome to BoB Matt. Great group of guys here and very helpful too!

A warm welcome from another recent member. It's always nice to see new blood in the pipe smoking fraternity.

I, too, was influenced by a neighbor when young. The smell and look of his pipes on the mantle I still remember today.

Hopefully, some youngster you aren't aware of will look at you with respectability and join us when the time comes.

Thanks guys. I've only been here a day and yet I already feel extremely welcome. I've also learned quite a bit based on a number of replies from very great sources. Appreciate all the warm welcomes. Thanks again.

Matt

Mattfactor87":f1la0bdm said:
Thanks guys. I've only been here a day and yet I already feel extremely welcome. I've also learned quite a bit based on a number of replies from very great sources. Appreciate all the warm welcomes. Thanks again.

Matt
Just sayin' matt, be careful of my friends man!!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Piet Binsbergen":y67g3ijt said:
Mattfactor87":y67g3ijt said:

Matt
Just sayin' matt, be careful of my friends man!!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Who us?? What do you think we're gonna do. Hijack this thread and start Kraken jokes?
:lol!:

bluedigital":v8qsjker said:
Piet Binsbergen":v8qsjker said:
Mattfactor87":v8qsjker said:

Matt
Who us?? What do you think we're gonna do. Hijack this thread and start Kraken jokes?
:lol!:
uuhhhhhhhh yes BD!!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: