New purchases

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiser83

Reaction score
So recent events have made me a little stir crazy in the gun department. I was able to get in touch with one of the gun dealers near my house and they told me I could order as many guns as I wanted and they will hold them for me. Needless to say, I am elated. Took the opportunity to grab myself a Ruger LCP and a Glock 23. Yeah I know some of you probably aren't a fan of Glock, but we carried the 23 at DHS headquarters so I am very used to that pistol. Next up will be an M4 from http://core15.com/

These aren't mine, but what mine will look like:
indexMain.jpg

glock-23-gen4-40.jpg

Nice!!! I'm not a glock guy, but I do not bear them a grudge. Of course, Ruger is also a spectacular manufacturer. I've been wanting an SP101 for years now.

I know exactly how you feel. Fortunately four years ago when ammunition prices skyrocketed my family invested in a reloader, tons of the common caliber dies, and a metric butt ton of bullets, casings, powder, and primers. Currently we can load .380, 9mm, .45ACP, .45 Long Colt, .38 Special, .357Mag, .223, 30-06, and 243.

I'd love to pick up a couple more guns, but I can't really justify it since I have 6 already and access to about 20 more.

This year I think I'll be stocking up on tobacco. It might become a black market item very soon.

Somewhat related, does anyone know of a good quality gunsmith who could restore a SPAS 12 for me?

I like both of them.

wouldnt mind having a glock for the house one of these days!

an open credit line with a dealer is not a fair thing!

camo

*camoham":2rbvypna said:
I like both of them.

wouldnt mind having a glock for the house one of these days!

an open credit line with a dealer is not a fair thing!

camo
Lol not an open credit line. I have to pay for them, but they are willing to hold them for me until I get home.

I guess Ruger had a ton of problems with these when they first came out a few years ago, but they've worked all the kinks out. As much of a Ruger fan I am (we were both born in the same town, little tidbit of random info) I kind of find the feel of the S&W Bodyguard more to my liking...

109380_01_md.jpg

...one day, one day.

8)

Not much difference in price, 385 for yours and 318 for mine. I just am partial to the Ruger from past experience with them, It's a nice small carry pistol, for when the XD is a little too bulky.

I love, love, love Ruger. Owned a couple of .357s once... SP101 and GP101... liked 'em lots (had to sell them). I haven't held an XD, either.

The LCP just never felt good in my hand, nor did the Kel Tec variants of the same chassis. Only older S&W guns appeal to me, typically, but the Bodyguard really fit like a glove.

Regarding Glocks, respect them highly, they, too, never fit me well. If it isn't like an extension of my hand, I don't go for it.

The XD is a Springfield Armory line that is awesome. I have a Springfield Armory 1911 with Hogue grips on it that fits like a glove.

kaiser83":ffywtl6q said:
I have a Springfield Armory 1911 with Hogue grips on it that fits like a glove.
That sounds like my kind of handcannon. :D

Kyle Weiss":zz9hpuep said:
kaiser83":zz9hpuep said:
I have a Springfield Armory 1911 with Hogue grips on it that fits like a glove.
That sounds like my kind of handcannon. :D
No no, you like S&W you need a S&W 500. Freaking .50cal revolver.

I've had the honor of shooting one of those. They're neat, but pretty massive...the kick is taken up by the frame, as one would expect, but you gotta have some pretty mighty arms to go through a box of ammo... which, is very, very pricey.

"Need" and "guns" aren't usually in my sentences any longer: the ammo, the cleaning, the storage...yeesh. :lol: I try to stick with calibers rather than the must-haves of the gun world. I just don't have the income.

8)

...plus, my Judge is plenty for me at the moment. I got a lovely deal about three years ago on this model...nice having a Cabela's about two miles away AND a Scheel's. I make them fight each other for my business. :twisted:

4510tkr_3ssr_1-tfb.jpg

8)

I'd definitely buy a Judge, but the dang price jumped up on them exponentially since when I first saw them.

That one was $350 after taxes, background check, etc. Not complaining. :) No, it isn't the 3" mag chamber...I found those to be weirdly muzzle-heavy, and since I use this as my field-carry piece, the tad less weight made a difference (especially when loaded!). Taurus has come a long, long way in quality and workmanship.

8)

I also have to admit that even though Hi-Point are pieces of crap, I'd kinda like to own one of their little rifles, and at 280.00 they aren't unreasonable.
995TS.jpg

If I'm gonna get some piece-of-crap-that-isn't assault rifle kind of setup, Kel Tec intrigues me far more than Hi-Point.

Kel-Tec aren't that bad at all. Hi-Point are basically just throw away guns to be honest.

Everyone has their preferences, for quirky little reasons. For me, I'd love to get a Walther PPK .380, stainless with walnut grips. For a .40 cal carry weapon, Sig P226 Navy.

I'm a big Ruger fan but their LC-9's line kind of scared me off. Right after they came out it seemed the local Cabeles used gun room was flooded with them. I had to wonder "if" people who purchased them were un-happy for some reason. A couple of the local gun shops told me they thought it had to do with the issue of recoil. They heard the same concerning the new smaller Taurus. That lighter/smaller frame and the sharpness of recoil on a 9mm tends to scare some people away. I guess people were getting the LC-9's for their wifes who once shooting them did not like the recoil. I own quite a few of their revolvers and one of my concealed carry guns is a SRC-9 which is a great shooter and very accurate. I am looking into getting one of their LCR's in 38 special.

The S&W Bodyguard impressed me regarding recoil, ergonomics and features. It's a sweet little conceal-carry piece that gets little mention.

I almost never suggest little guns to ladies who wish to carry. Especially if they think "small" means "easy to shoot" or "comfortable." Put pink grips on a shiny .38 revolver with a good, stout frame and usually the gals are happy. :lol: Cute? No. Reliable and more comfortable in time of need? Yes.

Generally speaking, .380 is a troublesome little round. I prefer 9mm for micro-frame automatic pistols, but there's always the footprint it leaves in the holster/pocket that kept me open-minded toward .380. My father's "pocket pistol" is a Bersa .380 which works great. I have the .45ACP Ultra Compact variant, and I tell ya, Bersa has been a workhorse. It's kind of like a Walther PPK-esque copy at half the price. I love Walther PPKs. The only Walther I still have is a Nazi-era Sprewerke/East German rework P-38 with a very low serial number.

Ruger got bought out a few years ago, and their marketing has been very "en-masse" which worried me about their quality.

8)