New Queen Stockman

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I have a few pocket knives that I carry around, always have one or more on me...a real slip joint ninja warrior.

So It's Spring and as is the way of things an old man's fancy turns to steel. After looking around at my default knife seller (Knives Ship Free) and finding everything I liked too expensive (over a hundred) I did a search on D2 and zero'd in on pocket knives. Bingo. Found it. I had ten bucks in 'points' and that brought it down to my level. My cost - just over sixty bucks. Retail was $125. Free shipping.

My new baby...I love good D2 steel.

Queen Cutlery #09 Large Stockman.
Stag Bone handle scales.
Three D2 Tool Steel blades (Clip, Sheepsfoot and Spey)

Specifications:

Overall Lenght: 6 1/4"
Closed Length: 3 3/4"
Main Blade Length: 3"
Weight: 3.4oz
Steel: D2 Tool Steel

Classic slip-joint everyone should have. Good brand, too. I want a Great Eastern, just for the hell of it. Seems like they're all on ebay, though, at inflated prices on most. Friggin' scalpers. KnivesShipFree is great, but their website...what's the term?...oh, yeah: sux.

Blackhorse...great choice on your new slip joint pocket knife. I'm very familiar with that model.  It's not only made of high quality materials ( D2 & stag bone ) it's a well crafted knife. Perfect EDC pocket knife. May you get many years of use from that new tool... :cheers:
I've carried a knife since I was 12 years old, and today, sometimes a pocket EDC and a fixed blade at my side. I'm also a BIG fan of very high end Reate and Kizer  knives. The quality even blows the mind of Mr. Knife....Jim Skelton. I met him a few times at different knife shows, great guy. When you have time watch some of his videos on YouTube. He literally droooooools over knives....lol.

Why do men collect knives, lighters, flashlights, pens and watches? Maybe to leave as family heirlooms!! Yup, ALL goes to my only grandson.... very proud of him.

PS
A few high end EDC knives will go to my daughter. Yup, she carries everyday.

PSS
I also feel compelled to state that Reate and Kizer knives even though made in China I find the quality superior to the Zero Tolerance..........  ( ZT ) knives I own. That's saying allot in my opinion.  
KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I'm really interested in this subject, particularly pocket knives. If you folks would be so kind to include price paid, or even MSRP, that would be great. I'd like to investigate your finds and recommendations further, but unfortunately, I have to consider cost before going down any rabbit holes.

Another favorite off the KSF site is my Northwoods Everyday Barlow - Sheepsfoot - brown saw cut bone handle - CPM 154 steel. Retail was $130 but as I recall I paid a shade over a hundred. It came with a heavy duty slip cover and rides my right side front pants picket daily.

This one is a great EDC due to the high quality materials and build plus the overall thin aspect of the thing. Very pocket friendly.

Say...Zeno - Why not start properly and define what you're going to need to DO with the knife, where and how it will be carried, your level of skill in sharpening, yadda, yadda, yadda. Once you know what you're going to be cutting you can get to the physics of the blade/blades. THEN set yourself a price point which will pretty much define the brand, etc. Just a thought.

Above all, don't go by me. I browse around til I see something that makes me start drooling...then I totally fabricate a set of reasons why I need it. lol

Blackhorse":1r7jf7rq said:
Say...Zeno - Why not start properly and define what you're going to need to DO with the knife, where and how it will be carried, your level of skill in sharpening, yadda, yadda, yadda. Once you know what you're going to be cutting you can get to the physics of the blade/blades. THEN set yourself a price point which will pretty much define the brand, etc. Just a thought.

Above all, don't go by me. I browse around til I see something that makes me start drooling...then I totally fabricate a set of reasons why I need it. lol
Apologies if I'm being difficult and/or too ambiguous. To be honest, I'm fickle and easily influenced. I love knives, though I don't own many (I'm a minimalist, so I'm in constant struggle with owning things). I get lusty easily, and because I'm also woefully ignorant of the better quality in knives, I'm all over the place. I can get interested REAL easily. I'm mostly about pocket knives, but styles like the classic puukko or Mora neck knife, like recently purchased by Blackhorse, can also grab my attention big time. I also think because I have such a small collection, lots of different styles and blade shapes look appetizing. I was just thinking today that I'd like a sheepsfoot bladed knife. My questions are ambiguous, and probably difficult to pin down and answer, because I'm busy gathering information and testimonials.

I'm glad you mentioned usage. I thought about starting a thread a couple days ago about how often knives are used. Be it for something more hardy, or simply opening mail or slicing the occasional rope. To me, big or small jobs are the same. It's the fun, comfort, convenience, and all sorts of other things that I like about carrying a knife. I was trying to estimate my own use, and I think I grab for a knife 1-2 times a week. Usually something small like cutting fabric or as a small element helping fix something in the oxidizing infrastructure of my own old belongings. I could easily grab for something else more appropriate or useful, but the pocket knife is more fun (and it might already be in my pocket). I don't generally have to cut wood, do crafts, hunt/fish, or need a super serious tool. Though, I was an avid backpacker and camper for a long time, and I'm always hoping to get back to it. Typical knife work was necessary for cooking and setting up camps. Overbuilt, over-designed, over-qualified tools are my preference (cost withstanding). Probably makes me sound like an asshole, but really...I've been lusty towards knives my entire life.* They're kind of rising in priority of interest lately is all.

I'm getting better at sharpening, but when I really want a nice edge, I ask a friend of mine to sharpen my knives for me. I'm working on it, but if he's handy, I make no progress in my sharpening skills.

*there was this place Paul's in Clinton, IA. When I was a kid, we would shop there once a month. They had a big knife case in front of all the registers. This place was part K-Mart, part surplus store, part liquidation center, part farm supply store. An awesome store that was an adventure every time we went. I would always want to look at the knives, but it was embarrassing to stand in front of tens and tens of people to look at knives. It was a very public event, and as many of us feel, knives are a very personal thing. And then to match the knife on the legend to see what it was called and the price. Fond memories, but stressful memories, too. I have lots of those involving knives.

Zeno you would have loved going to Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, NC.   It has been there since the 1800s and has an amazing Mast Knife Shop.   I was like a kid in a candy shop!  Well actually that was a different part of the store :)

My EDC is a Boker Plus Decades Edition.  It is crazy lightweight and I can get an edge on it good enough to shave.   The VG-10 steel can hold an edge for about 2 weeks of moderate use without needing to be touched up.   I'm now addicted to high carbon steel for keeping a nice edge. VG-10 is high carbon but still stainless, which is nice when I'm fishing the Outer Banks of NC.

Remember, a sharp knife is a safe knife!

The Boker Plus Decades Edition

SPECIFICATIONS

Overall Length:6.50"
Blade Length:2.75"
Blade Material:VG-10
Blade Style:Spear Point
Blade Grind:Hollow
Finish:Satin
Edge Type:plain
Handle Length:3.75"
Handle Material:Carbon Fiber
Frame/Liner:Titanium
Weight:2.10 oz.
User:Right Hand
Pocket Clip:Tip-Down, Tip-Up
Knife Type:Manual
Lock Type:Liner Lock
Brand:Boker Plus
Model:Exskelibur II
Model Number:01BO153
Designer:Fred Burger, Mike Skellern
Best Use:Everyday Carry
Color:Black
Country of Origin:Germany

Street Price: about $85

I've carried the smallest Swiss Army I could find for years, but now that I don't wear a suit anymore or seldom, anyway) I decided to start carrying a proper pocketknife.  I like these upland knives with the gut hook; lately my regular carry is the bone handled Case in the front.  The others are a Western and a Remington.

But I put the SA on my key ring; just can't do without the toothpick and scissors!

IMG_1100_zpsydjnl91l.jpg

Yup. Hardly a day goes by I don't find the need for a good gut hook.  :suspect:

I used to like to carry a Trapper pattern, don't really know why. Not much good for whittling, which is what I do most aside from the this-n-that of daily knife tasks that arise,

I should get a good Congress and a Whittler that favor Warncliff blades. I think I'd do well with something like that. But the above Stockman is about as good an all around as there is, I guess.

Blackhorse":dfgwncg5 said:
Yup. Hardly a day goes by I don't find the need for a good gut hook.  :suspect:
Never know when you're gonna need one  :D .  Guess it is kinda weird; started carrying it when hunting and it just stuck. Then again, I haven't had much use for a spey blade lately either ;) .

Indeed. Hard to know to which the local fauna would object more...being speyed or hooked.

At least the Spey blade is adaptable to other slicing chores...nearly a pen blade but for the truncated top section...so just not quite so pointy. It makes a nice plug cutter for me. On a Trapper I use the much longer Spey as a fruit blade. Nice.