New Rifle Traditions 209 .50 Caliber Black Powder

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CygnusXII

Reaction score
Just picked up a New Rifle. Friend of a Friend had to sell his Rifle. Never been fired. Came with Scope, Extra Powder, Ammo Packs and Pellets, Both Lead and Copper Coated, Cleaning Kit. Pretty much everything I need to go to the Range. I need to pick up some 209 Primers though. Why Black Powder? Basically it fits my "Tin Foil Hat" mentality. Black Powder Rifles do not have to be registered with Uncle Sam. It's very easy to stock pile ammo, and powder, and pour your own pellets, and have plenty of supplies when the shit hits the fan. I do not like the notion of having to rely on ready made rounds, which can be costly and run out eventually. With Black powder you can make the pellets out of lead, and pour your own lead molded rounds. Additionally it fits with my ideas of gun safety. You do not leave a black powder rifle laying around loaded, like a cartridge rifle or handgun (well like stupid cartridge weapon owners do.)

gjoab.jpg

Traditions 209 .50 Caliber Muzzloader Black Powder Rifle with Scope

Nifty! I like the Schnable (spelling ?) forend on the composit stock.

And BP rifles can be really accurate within their effective range. I once made of Hawken 50 cal via a kit thing and it would shoot into an inch using a standing leaning rest at 75 yds. I was extremely impressed. And that was with pyrodex and round ball. No scope. Of course that was when I was quite a bit younger and could still SEE! lol And I did taper the front blade to a thinner contour. Wish I still had that piece...that and about ten other arms that I've sold off over the years.

I had a Thompson Hawkens .50 cal myself about 15 years ago, and had to sell it also. It was one fine Rifle. I haven't had one since then, so I am particularly happy about having another now. It's not a super expensive rifle, but the build quality on it is fairly decent, and I happened to fall into the deal, so I can't complain.

Traditions? Good affordable quality, the company has been around for years. Let us know how she shoots.

Cygnus, check out some of the modern powders available, such as 777. They clean up super easy with only hot water. I have a Thompson Center modern flintlock that loves the stuff!

I got a old CVA Hawkins 50 cal. thats a good striaght shooter. Around 90 grains of powder she kicks good.

plumbernater":zv9psgfu said:
I got a old CVA Hawkins 50 cal. thats a good striaght shooter. Around 90 grains of powder she kicks good.
Hay that the same one I have, I need a new barrel for mine though.