New smoker tobacco question.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pullmyfinger

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently joined and posted an introduction in the welcome forum.
I just placed an order from pipesandcigars for a sampler of 6 hearth and Home tobaccos, I chose the following blends:

Tobacco 1 = Daybreak
Tobacco 2 = Admiralty
Tobacco 3 = Ambassador's Blend
Tobacco 4 = Classic Burley Kake
Tobacco 5 = Larry's Blend
Tobacco 6 = Sunjammer

I added a 2 oz. tin of G.L. Pease Odyssey.

While waiting for my package to arrive I noticed that the BX here (I'm in Afghanistan) had some pipes, they are all basket pipes I guess, the brand is "Gordon". So I bought one, figured another pipe wouldn't hurt.

I also bought a pack of:
Condor Original, "ready rubbed" it's in a green plastic envelope. It's th eonly pipe tobacco I could find here.
I searched here and did find a few thread referencing "Condor" tobacco.

None that were the specific type I just bought and smoked.

My question is this:

How good or bad is this Condor tobacco? How will it compare to the blends I have on order?
What sort of tobacco is in it? I realize it's an OTC brand, but I wanted to get a rough idea from experienced smokers of how it compares to others.

I was just curious about it while waiting for my package to get here.

Thank you,
Mitch

Condor is a well-known otc British tobacco, but not one easily found out side of Europe. When confronted with any new tobacco, one place to look for reviews is
http://tobaccoreviews.com/browse_all.cfm

Alas, I haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to strong in all respects -- high nicotine and fairly highly flavored. It's a Lakeland-style, which can be described as floral or perfumed, but none of the ones I've had could be called sweet.

Smaller-bowled pipes are usually suggested for first encounters.

A similar British otc is St Bruno, so you might want to see Blackhorse's post in this recent thread:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14505-blends-similar-to-st-bruno-flake

Enjoy!

Thank you Dr. T,

I just wanted to have an idea for comparison sake.
It certainly seems pretty strong.

Edit: I just went to the tobacco review site when I made it back to my room, wow! 68 reviews on it.

Thanks again,

-Mitch

Mitch, thanks for your service to our country in Afghanistan.
I think you will enjoy those H&H blends, Russ makes some of the best ones around.

Smokey