New Smoker, What am I supposed to taste?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to apologize, public forum and all. :)

Likely this preoccupation you speak of is veiled in many variables of discovering if it's the smoker, the pipe, the 'bacca, or all three. Not an easy thing to nail down, especially when they all join together. Samplers may or may not solve that. I, for one, encourage sampling, and sampling of tobacco that have the most forgiving nature, all things considered. That way, the better chance flavor will be experienced.

There's two schools of thought on trying tobacco I've noticed, one being sample as much as you can in as many areas as you can in order to zone-in on what you like (outward-in), the other is, experience and narrow your results and stick with what you like to get to "know" something (inward-out). There's nothing wrong with either. I think it really depends on the personality of the smoker, and they're going to do whatever they want, anyway. It's their hobby.

Eventually, if they aren't chased off by rhetoric, bad flavor or tongue bite, there they are, enjoying a magical smoke.

8)

Kyle Weiss":jy64mtnb said:
That'd be cool. I know, as in soap making, the essences used for candle making is much the same. Hell, I might find a way to infuse some paraffin wax with some "leather" scent and get some Latakia steeping in the wax and see what I can come up with. 8)
If you ever make that candle you had better produce enough to sell because I will be knocking at your door.

christeaux":hs0x1mvn said:
Kyle Weiss":hs0x1mvn said:
That'd be cool. I know, as in soap making, the essences used for candle making is much the same. Hell, I might find a way to infuse some paraffin wax with some "leather" scent and get some Latakia steeping in the wax and see what I can come up with. 8)
If you ever make that candle you had better produce enough to sell because I will be knocking at your door.
If I make them, and they turn out good, I'll probably just send them out by request. 8)

Experiment and enjoy yourself doing it. Reading this forum will give you plenty of clues on where to go from here. I have found that the more I try to stick to one "genre" the more I'm missing out on. Have fun!

>>>There's two schools of thought on trying tobacco I've noticed, ...<<<

There's also a version of the Big Bang Theory at work, I'd say. People begin with whatever tobacco they were introed to and gradually (or sometimes not so gradually) add to their hoard. Then they begin to contract, depending on like / don't like, finances . . . Then they learn of stuff they're missing, so the hoard agan expands. Then . . .

Your reminder that it's a hobby is apt. I'd add the corollary that, since it's an avocation, pipers' observations, no matter how firmly stated, should generally be regarded as personal preference, not prescriptions.

since it's an avocation, pipers' observations, no matter how firmly stated, should generally be regarded as personal preference, not prescriptions.
And this is a rule, applicable to everybody. Under all circumstances.

OK. Got it.

:face:

"The circle is the strongest shape in nature, and the weakest method of communication."

If this is an endurance test or pride thing, I guess I lost...

Runners-up get a bowl of Embarcadero! :cheers: 8)

im a fans of aros if your looking for one that tasts close to the smell try some mcclellands best of show.you can get it at 4noggins.com great stuff.