New Stanwell + repair recommendation request

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefisher

Reaction score
Hi! I just picked up a dandy Stanwell Flame Grain estate pipe and boy do I love it. I've been after this shape for a while and my hunch was right - it's a great fit for me.
qwF6zBx

Here's the pipe: https://imgur.com/qwF6zBx

There's one little problem with it however. There's a tiny gap between the stem and shank on one side. It doesn't interfere with the airflow at all, but I know it will drive me crazy in the long run. What do you suggest? Is home repair possible? If I should send it to a professional, who do you all recommend? Thanks in advance.

Here's the gap: https://imgur.com/innDs7r
innDs7r

Way to small a "gap" to bother with! Just smoke it and after awhile you won't even notice it and with smoking, it may resolve itself ! :twisted:

Everyone will look at things differently for sure, but I can see where that would bug you. It would bug me. Fixing it "could" be a home job, but it would most likely require sanding. Depending on how particular you are about things, I might recommend sending it off to get it fixed. It's most likely just a high side on either the stem or the shank that's keeping it from seating properly.

It's something that can be ultra frustrating to fix if you don't have the right tools. Ask any pipe maker who is just getting started out. You can make it worse in seconds and take hours to get it flush.

I think I'll send it out. Thanks for the replies folks. Anyone in particular you can recommend?

I'd smoke the pipe first and make sure I loved the hell out of it before I bothered with such things, but I get the point. Small gaps bother me, but one of two things happen--I stop caring because the pipe smokes so damn well, or I give it/sell it to someone if the pipe and I don't get along.

*shrug*

Then again, I've simply fixed my own pipes that have issues like that...sometimes it's a mortise/tenon fitting issue that's easily resolved. It might either be hung up on something, there might be a small angle in either the mortise or tenon not allowing it to be inserted fully, or the tenon is simply a titch too long.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Are you sure you can't live with it. If you say yes, I will understand.

It looks like the mortice was slightly off center or there was some warping after construction.

No amount of sanding would fix it. Any such fix would would be to worsen over time.

The fix is to bore to establish true alignment and then replace the tenon. I'd suggest the repair shop be associated with a custom pipe builder who can establish true as they can building from scratch. Standard shops that do good work otherwise may or may not have the tools to do the work without great effort and luck. A good pipe maker should.

"No amount of sanding would fix it. Any such fix would would be to worsen over time.

The
fix is to bore to establish true alignment and then replace the tenon.
I'd suggest the repair shop be associated with a custom pipe builder
who can establish true as they can building from scratch. Standard
shops that do good work otherwise may or may not have the tools to do
the work without great effort and luck. A good pipe maker should."

Ohhh well that's something to think about. I think I'm going to email Walker with a link to that pic and see what they say. If in their opinion it's an easy fix with a high probability of success I'll probably send it. If not I guess I'll just live with it. It smokes damn well as it is.

Oh, and thank you all very much for your guidance. I've been smoking cigars for twenty years but I'm new to the subtle art of the briar.

This is a classic case of OCD. My favorite pipe of all time has that issue. Its a gap thats a bit smaller than yours and is only visible when I put it against a light source. But boy did it annoy me. However over time, I just learns to not mind it (assuming if it doesn't affect smoking quality).

Like many brothers here I think of a pipe as a woman. Then I just apply the proverb "every rose has its thorns" to them and you'll find that all of a sudden it won't bother you as much. Much like how no one is perfect in life, a pipe should be that way too.

I am certain Dave Wolff will be able to cure your woes and set your mind at ease - and fix your lovely Stanwell! Reach out to him, he'll let you know.

Lou

Beautiful pipe, I have one just like it (straight grain) and I love it. Smokes like a dream.

Thanks again everyone for your advice! I think I'm going to smoke it every other day for a month and see if it either self-corrects or if I stop caring.

Bluefisher":ubqd1jqh said:
Thanks again everyone for your advice! I think I'm going to smoke it every other day for a month and see if it either self-corrects or if I stop caring.
Good man! You might find it's not as bad as you think! I've a few that started that way and a few that became that way and they all are good smokers so it really doesn't matter !! :twisted:

I think you've made the best decision. Some heat/moisture/use should stabilize it to where it will give you the best, long-term service -- whether you then go ahead with a repair or use it as is.

I sure wouldn't say it was OCD. You got something that wasn't what you were expecting and are trying to resolve it in a way that make sense based on your esthetics. Nothing wrong with that!

Not knocking Stanwell-they might great pipes for the price-but they are inexpensive. As hard as it is to fix this, why spend half the price you paid on fixing something that doesn't affect the smoke and isn't a glare. That's my 2 cents.