New to making knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricTKT

Reaction score
So I'm fairly new to making knives, and am currently acquiring what I need in order to finish the two I have going at the moment. Nevertheless, I am moving slowly on these first two, working out the exact process that works for what I have. My friends, who are also members of the BOB, are my sounding boards for ideas and feedback on what I have thus far.

I am a pipe smoker, and thus, as one of my first two knives I am making a plug knife that I designed. I have pictures that I post on Instagram for those who care to follow: tkt_customknives

As for the most recent photos, tell me what you guys think! Any and all critique is greatly appreciated and will be taken note of and addressed at the appropriate time

This is a rather small buckaroo style knife, though the scale is lost due to the way I photographed it.

This is the plug knife I designed with input from my friends

I've never made a knife, so I cant give any advice, but I like knives and those look good to me, so far.

Keep on keepin' on.

You've got a bunch of guys around here that know their way around a knife. A short stroll through the DIY section will point some out.

I just got some very nice Curly Maple and Walnut on eBay from an outfit here in Oregon that deals in wood for everything from Cellos to rifle stocks to knife handles. Good prices. I was looking specifically for pieces long enough to use for a handle and scabbard where the wood is a continuous piece. Kind of like the following:

woodsheathHeaderLrg.gif

It seemed to me that your first blade would lend itself well to something like that.

I have to admit though, that second blade is very handsome! Very well shaped...unique and interesting.

Anyway...another resource: I usually get my handle material...stabilized...from Bag Dog Burl Source. A great vendor with truly fine pieces. If this stuff doesn't make ya drool...then you're in the wrong game! lol

http://www.burlsource.com/burls-knife-blanks-stabilized.html