New to Pipe Smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarneOut

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a pipe for (almost) the first time. Due to some medical circumstances, I haven't been able to leave the house for years, and find that there's very little left that I can do other than contemplate life. What better companion for that than a pipe? I did try a pipe once around 12 years ago at the age of 18, but found I didn't have the knowledge or the patience to get much out of it. You probably know the story; a Dr. Grabow, a pouch of Captain Black Cherry, massive tongue bite, and a quick retreat from the hobby.

I've aged a lot since then, and the pipe calls to me now in a whole different way. Of course, the newfound enthusiasm has been helped along considerably by the discovery of English blends. As someone who eschews dessert, takes his coffee black, and would sooner salt than sugar a lemonade, i think it's safe to say that aromatics will be left in the past, along with the Dr. Grabow.

When it comes to hobbies, I'm a (mostly) unabashed tinkerer and collector. When I played tennis, I had to have 16 rackets. If I like a hat, I have to have it in every color. I am no stranger to acquisition disorders, and as soon as I discovered that I was seriously interested in picking up the pipe, my heart sunk a little in anticipation of the hit my wallet would take. However, as it usually goes, that deflation was far outweighed by the excitement of acquiring some new friends, so to speak.

To get myself started out right, I sold one of my superfluous guitars, and ended up buying 9 Savinellis and around 40 different tobaccos. I look forward to hanging around the forum a little bit and learning a thing or two from you all.

Last edited:
Welcome to our little group. Hope you enjoy your time here and feel free to chime in. "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs." Albert Einstein. I think you have it figured out now. Smoking a pipe is a process that leads to a degree of contemplation. Take your time, enjoy the journey. And, don't write off all aromatics. Not all are Captain Black, lol. Sounds like you might also like burley blends. Hard to beat a bowl of SWR or CH in the morning with strong black coffee.

Welcome to BoB. Enjoy your time here. I forgot what I was going to say, (part of one of my disorders). Anyway, welcome.

B 430E5F31-B696-4833-9512-757BB8FE6F31.jpeg

Thank you all for the warm welcome everyone.

Welcome to our little group. Hope you enjoy your time here and feel free to chime in. "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs." Albert Einstein. I think you have it figured out now. Smoking a pipe is a process that leads to a degree of contemplation. Take your time, enjoy the journey. And, don't write off all aromatics. Not all are Captain Black, lol. Sounds like you might also like burley blends. Hard to beat a bowl of SWR or CH in the morning with strong black coffee.

Lovely quote from Einstein. And I would say it's not that I have a problem with aromatics per se, I just don't like sweet-forward flavor profiles in any of my consumables. So far I've been working through mostly English blends, but have reasonably enjoyed Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut Burley. Though even that I found to be a hair sweet for me. I think I'm most fond of flavors that people might classically say would "put hair on your chest", though I certainly have enough of that already.

Anything leathery, smokey, savory, or spiced jumps out at me most. But I'm sure before long I'll have diversified and tried a little of everything.

Lovely quote from Einstein. And I would say it's not that I have a problem with aromatics per se, I just don't like sweet-forward flavor profiles in any of my consumables. So far I've been working through mostly English blends, but have reasonably enjoyed Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut Burley. Though even that I found to be a hair sweet for me. I think I'm most fond of flavors that people might classically say would "put hair on your chest", though I certainly have enough of that already.

Anything leathery, smokey, savory, or spiced jumps out at me most. But I'm sure before long I'll have diversified and tried a little of everything.
Want something to put hair on your chest, and maybe your tongue, get some Old Joe Krantz, lol. For leathery and smokey, either Arango Balkan Supreme or H&H 10 to midnight.

Sounds like you and I have very similar flavour profiles, I do not care for sweet stuff unless it is over the top like baklava and my tobacco reflects that. I thin k I have .01 percent aromatics in my cellar. And I've yet to try it. Food is the same, gimme savoury and full of flavour.

For the most part I've got Latakia based blends and some burley or virginia blends.

Off for some Sri Lankan curry tomorrow lunch.

I just picked up a pipe for (almost) the first time. Due to some medical circumstances, I haven't been able to leave the house for years, and find that there's very little left that I can do other than contemplate life. What better companion for that than a pipe? I did try a pipe once around 12 years ago at the age of 18, but found I didn't have the knowledge or the patience to get much out of it. You probably know the story; a Dr. Grabow, a pouch of Captain Black Cherry, massive tongue bite, and a quick retreat from the hobby.

I've aged a lot since then, and the pipe calls to me now in a whole different way. Of course, the newfound enthusiasm has been helped along considerably by the discovery of English blends. As someone who eschews dessert, takes his coffee black, and would sooner salt than sugar a lemonade, i think it's safe to say that aromatics will be left in the past, along with the Dr. Grabow.

When it comes to hobbies, I'm a (mostly) unabashed tinkerer and collector. When I played tennis, I had to have 16 rackets. If I like a hat, I have to have it in every color. I am no stranger to acquisition disorders, and as soon as I discovered that I was seriously interested in picking up the pipe, my heart sunk a little in anticipation of the hit my wallet would take. However, as it usually goes, that deflation was far outweighed by the excitement of acquiring some new friends, so to speak.

To get myself started out right, I sold one of my superfluous guitars, and ended up buying 9 Savinellis and around 40 different tobaccos. I look forward to hanging around the forum a little bit and learning a thing or two from you all.
Hi Warneout. I'm Tom from Minnesota. Welcome to the wonderful lifestyle of pipe smoking. It sounds likeyouve jumped into the deep end starting with 9 pipes and 40 tobaccos. I myself enjoy a wide variety of blends. Mostly English. And yes...pipe smoking and contemplation do seem to be kindred spirits. I too have spent quite a bit...with no regrets whatsoever. I just love it.
Enjoy,
Tom

Nothing wrong with that, lol. A tobacco that's been around for over a hundred years and still popular has to have something going for it. You said you like stronger, smokey, leathery blends to put hair on your chest. I would suggest you give Cowboy Coffee by Country Squire a try. I think it might fill the bill for you.