New to the BoB, Time to get educated on Pipes!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Antique Hoosier":x6wokjn7 said:
I'm just hopeful that I can control my acquisition disorders when it comes to pipes!
There are two main ways to control PAD, neither eliminate it.
One way is to specialize, which makes you a "collector" instead of just another accumulator (I am an accumulator, no organization to my acquisitions, other than the search for good smoking pipes). Typically you pick a maker or a shape, etc. to collect and limit yourself to those purchases. Mind you it can still get pricey if you were to choose to specialize in "straight grain Dunhills" for example.
The second way to limit yourself, has less to do with the number of pipes, and more to do with cost. I have a limited budget, so rule number one is stick to your budget (if only the government would learn this basic lesson). Rule two I buy used and buy only what I expect to want to smoke. I bought one pipe last week, first acquisition in many weeks. There were two other pipes at the same location I would liked to have picked up, but that would have exceed my P&T budget for the week. So I only ended up with one, a 1969 Dunhill Shell #249, :santa: and stayed within budget ($30.00).:gatewheel:
Hey the budget has to allow for tobacco too, in a country where even an OTC package of tobacco like Captain Black costs $18.00 and tinned tobacco is $30.00, you have to count all your costs!

Have fun and ask questions,
Al :pipe:

Al in Canada":3hdsljrb said:
Antique Hoosier":3hdsljrb said:
I'm just hopeful that I can control my acquisition disorders when it comes to pipes!
There are two main ways to control PAD, neither eliminate it.
One way is to specialize, which makes you a "collector" instead of just another accumulator (I am an accumulator, no organization to my acquisitions, other than the search for good smoking pipes). Typically you pick a maker or a shape, etc. to collect and limit yourself to those purchases. Mind you it can still get pricey if you were to choose to specialize in "straight grain Dunhills" for example.
The second way to limit yourself, has less to do with the number of pipes, and more to do with cost. I have a limited budget, so rule number one is stick to your budget (if only the government would learn this basic lesson). Rule two I buy used and buy only what I expect to want to smoke. I bought one pipe last week, first acquisition in many weeks. There were two other pipes at the same location I would liked to have picked up, but that would have exceed my P&T budget for the week. So I only ended up with one, a 1969 Dunhill Shell #249, :santa: and stayed within budget ($30.00).:gatewheel:
Hey the budget has to allow for tobacco too, in a country where even an OTC package of tobacco like Captain Black costs $18.00 and tinned tobacco is $30.00, you have to count all your costs!

Have fun and ask questions,
Al :pipe:
Al....GREAT suggestions!!! Now All I have to do is......more research!!!! ( and find out what I really want!) I believe it will be to own a couple really nice vintage pipes that would be considered like classic automobiles.... What are the top 5 makers that would be CLASSICS?

"Al....GREAT suggestions!!! Now All I have to do is......more research!!!! ( and find out what I really want!) I believe it will be to own a couple really nice vintage pipes that would be considered like classic automobiles.... What are the top 5 makers that would be CLASSICS?"

Oh that there were a simple answer to that question, but there isn't. The nice thing about buying used/estate pipes is that you can afford to make a few mistakes. You can get a selection of pipes and decide which shapes and sizes suit you.

I have decided that I don't care much for filter pipes, with the exception of Brighams, and I would try a Savinelli with the balsa filter if it came along. I have a couple of EA Carey "Magic Inch" pipes, but that is not a true "filter" pipe, rather a moisture trapping pipe. But I tried filter pipes to reach that conclusion.

I look carefully at pipes I find, and of course i look at the markings, but sometimes you won't recognize the name, or it won't telegraph who made it./ this is especially true of "private branded" pipes (made as premiums or for sale through one store or chain of stores). Somehow good pipes call to me through the dirt and dust they are often coated with. Of the 5 Dunhills I own, two weren't identified as such until i got them home and cleaned up, and a third pipe which I suspected might be another in the same buy turned out to be a very nice Saseni.

If you want a longer answer go to my posting at: http://pipes.forumeiro.org/estate-pipe-discussion-f9/the-joys-of-pipe-hunting-t20.htm

Happy hunting,
Al

Welcome Mike! Your journey is just starting! It can be a bit overwealming in the begining. There's lots of pipes and tobaccos to try. Do your best to keep it simple. Opt for medium english blends and straight pipes. Properly cleaned estate/used pipes are a great way to save 40-50% and build a nice rotation.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Everyone here has been where you are now at one time or another...

Danish_Pipe_Guy":1vfc4gr3 said:
Welcome Mike! Your journey is just starting! It can be a bit overwealming in the begining. There's lots of pipes and tobaccos to try. Do your best to keep it simple. Opt for medium english blends and straight pipes. Properly cleaned estate/used pipes are a great way to save 40-50% and build a nice rotation.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Everyone here has been where you are now at one time or another...
It's not just overwhelming, it's so overwhelming that it is almost hard to get started... yet, I've managed :tongue:

I'm going to keep my expenses within reason here. ( Unlike my shaving items). Two pipes now, The Edwards "bargain basket" and a Carey estate pipe from ebay for a whopping $6.50 shipped. The Carey is the type of pipe that I could take when I go fishing and if it fell in the water, I'd say "oh well". I have smoked it 3 times in the last two days and it was definately worth $6.50. It actually was on the way via ebay just prior to my not having the willpower to avoid Edwards.

I'm going to make ONE more pipe purchase.... and call it a day.

Welcome, Antique Hoosier!

I think I know you from that "other" forum which has also plagued me with multiple acquisition disorders.

I'm one pretty diseased guy by now :lol:

Antique Hoosier":oa6m87c5 said:
I'm going to keep my expenses within reason here. ( Unlike my shaving items). Two pipes now, The Edwards "bargain basket" and a Carey estate pipe from ebay for a whopping $6.50 shipped. The Carey is the type of pipe that I could take when I go fishing and if it fell in the water, I'd say "oh well". I have smoked it 3 times in the last two days and it was definately worth $6.50. It actually was on the way via ebay just prior to my not having the willpower to avoid Edwards.

I'm going to make ONE more pipe purchase.... and call it a day.
Did your Carey come with the paper "socks"? I'm assuming it is a "Magic Inch" pipe. I have two that came into my hands by chance, where I bought a lot to get something else and there they were. They didn't quite smoke right, unless I held my fingers over the slots, the draw just wasn't right. Then I found out they were supposed to have these little paper sleeves, and I got some of those, in another lot, and voila, the draw problem was cured. I don't know if retailers around you carry them, but Carey runs a shop on the net as well as a b&m operation.http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/

Happy puffin'
Al in Canada

Al in Canada":6hwxzo9l said:
Did your Carey come with the paper "socks"?
Al in Canada
Al...you are correct and I noticed the "slots" and figured it got some kind of filter. have smoked it 3 times and it was fine... a little gurgling but that is because I'm new to the game. I will check on the socks.... I'd hate to spend more in paper than the whole thing cost shipped! LOL

I purchased my last pipe just a bit ago. I liked the strange shape and finish on this one so I made an ebay purchase. Posting the completed ebay auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350193011397

Welcome aboard, AH! I think you will find this bunch to be helpful, instructive, amusing, and downright hilarious. There are some very knowledgable pipesters here -- don't hesitate to ask any and all questions. Above all, have fun!

Haven't checked back with your guys for awhile now. I am happily smoking my Pre-War Custombilt and appear to have any pipe acquisition disorder in check. I occassionally smoke my original pipe that I bought from Edwards Pipe & Tobacco Shop in Tampa as well. Three other ebay estate pipes don't see much use between my two favorites! Still, I am really enjoying the experience....glad I found the place!