New to the the pipe, Seattle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SortaGray

Reaction score
Hello from Seattle. Not long ago I was invited to spend an evening with a few fellas, with some whisky and some pipe. The host had a nice collection of pipes. I think the last time I had seen a pipe up close I was maybe 12! I was stunned by how gorgeous the pipes were. Their materials and craftsmanship were wonderful. That evening on his deck, we watched the sun go down over Puget Sound and the Olympic mountains. We smoked and shared our great thoughts.

That evening the experience clicked with me on a deep level - this completely fit me. I am now excitedly learning and enjoying it (when my wife is away of course). This fits with my middle aged discovery of the double edged shaver and the fountain pen. I think it's really about learning to treat myself well with the little things in life. Of course women have know about this for a long time (i.e., the luxurious bath, the pedicure, etc.). And it is the little things, for example, I think I am getting as big a kick out of pipe smoking as I did when I bought my BMW. I am now looking forward to pleasant rainy Fall evenings (we have a lot of those in Seattle) with time to sample tobaccos, perhaps share a good smoke, and ponder life. And I am looking forward to learning from you all here.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael welcome to the BoB. Glad to have you on board. :)

AJ

welcome aboard

I also discovered pipes recently, at approx. at 44 years old and after 20 years only smoking cigars and hookah as I have spent a bit of time in north African areas and Tunisia, turkey and morocco where hookah is king :)

a pipe to me was the same as yourself, I hadn't seen one up close in 35 years and they were a thing to marvel, the shapes, designs and craftsmanship were wonderful to look at and each was unique and very different

I'm still a noob in my own personal journey but so far each piece of learning has been enjoyable and fun.

I hope you have a good journey too and please post your thoughts and ideas as you go, another perspective is always welcome.

andy

Welcome aboard, Mike! :D
Yes, one great part of pipe smoking is that it is deeply rooted into amazing rituals we go through with pleasure every time we make the decision to smoke a pipe.
Almost thirty years after, I never tire of them. Quite the contrary.
I wish you a long, fruitful and pleasant journey into our brotherly world. :cheers:

Hi Michael!

Well, it sounds like you discovered most of the finer things in life, including the BoB! Well done Sir!

Pipe, check.
DE razor, check.
Fountain pen, check.
A time piece with a mechanical movement....????

Looking forward to seeing you on the BoB,

Regards,

Stick.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Brewdude, in the Snoqualmie valley. The valley is wonderful. Reminds me of Hobits and the Shire - but with BIG mountains. Fun also to hear from the UK and Spain! Thanks and talk with you later.
Michael

Welcome to what I firmly believe is the very best group of folks on this great information/disinformation super highway. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and check the older post as well. Tons of good info to be had. :afro:

Welcome welcome! I have to tell you some of the best pipe smoking I've ever done was in rainy Seattle as a young man trying to find work with the fishing fleet. You couldn't have found a better resource for all things pipe than this board. There are some truly wonderful people here - enjoy!