New tools in the briar patch / learning curve=wasted briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfpc

Reaction score
Finally got my lathe, been mucking with it for a few days - Yesterday I managed to snap the stummel shortly before finishing it, today I managed to turn a good long stummel only to snap it off while attempting to carve the bowl (nothing like failure at high speeds - made the mistake of trying to rough out the bowl from a square without support of the tailstock - silly rabbit... next time I will cut it to an octagon first...)

Think I have it pretty much figured out now - getting the third briar block ready for the lathe now - wish me luck :)

Good Luck Gandy. Heck you'll be a whiz-ard at this in no time.

Best of luck with your new lathe, it should save a ton of time,,,,what's norm abrams say,,there's no more important safety rule than wearing safety glasses,,, :D

Good luck Gandalf and keep us updated on your progress, very interesting stuff!

That be my No.1 pipe slaying tool Gandalf, what lathe you got, post some pics!
Are you using a jig to hold the wood in the headstock?
Go for it bro!!!!

Have a bunch of pics to post - both the workshop and a half dozen or so pipes for the trading post - haven't even managed to post a pic of a rather unusual pipe I made the other day (a horse of a different color)

I'll get everything posted today or tomorrow :)

gandalfpc":ixa75b20 said:
Have a bunch of pics to post - both the workshop and a half dozen or so pipes for the trading post - haven't even managed to post a pic of a rather unusual pipe I made the other day (a horse of a different color)

I'll get everything posted today or tomorrow :)
Well don't keep us in suspense! It's already tomorrow in SA! :bounce: