New toy/tool day: 12x36 lathe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejoshee

Reaction score
Actually it's tomorrow (or whenever they arrange to deliver). I've been waiting on this for a couple months now!

(Stock image)
PM-1236-Front.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 480px

Super stoked!!! :twisted:

Dude! That's a serious lathe, and frankly a bit overkill for pipe making. We use the same model here in the shop. If you don't have experience with this kind of machinery make sure you do some serious research. That thing is big enough and strong enough to wrap you around the headstock if you aren't careful. Also set up can be tedious making sure the machine is properly leveled. (My apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.)

Congratulations are in order for sure. Now you need the other $1000 worth of tooling to get it running!

Ocelot55":nro9f5v4 said:
Dude! That's a serious lathe, and frankly a bit overkill for pipe making. We use the same model here in the shop. If you don't have experience with this kind of machinery make sure you do some serious research. That thing is big enough and strong enough to wrap you around the headstock if you aren't careful. Also set up can be tedious making sure the machine is properly leveled. (My apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.)

Congratulations are in order for sure. Now you need the other $1000 worth of tooling to get it running!
No apologies necessary! I realize you're just looking out for me. I have done research and I concluded that I am a ridiculous person, so I had to buy it. :p

But seriously, I know what I'm getting myself into, already seeing the limitations of the 9x20 and the horrific pics/videos of industrial accidents.... *DON'T LOOK IT UP!*

I have a friend who is a machinist and a friend who has machinist friends, so I'm not too worried about getting use out of this to do things outside of pipemaking. Plus I think I have enough gear to get myself started turning.

mejoshee":mnvep9q7 said:
Actually it's tomorrow (or whenever they arrange to deliver). I've been waiting on this for a couple months now!

(Stock image)
PM-1236-Front.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 480px

Super stoked!!! :twisted:

Dude! That looks like a serious set-up right there and no mistake. No telling what magic you can do with that!

Cheers,

RR

Soon you'll be producing pipes as fast as Savinelli. :lol: Seriously Josh I think you'll be very pleased with the new lathe and it should really help you turn out more fine looking pipes. :)

AJ

With equipment like that you are DEFINATELY moving past the hobbyist level !!  :twisted: :twisted: BTW the quality of your work already shows that !! :cheers:

Now I know why I'd never be a pipemaker, it's not my total lack of manual dexterity, it's far simpler than that - TOO MANY KNOBS AND WHEELS!!

It is, however, a very impressive set of knobs and wheels

That is one very impressive machine you have there. Congratulations!

:cheers:

Looks a lot different than my 18 volt cordless DeWalt screw gun and Dremmel kit...

Where do you put the sandpaper?

Ozark Wizard":24h8pr3r said:
Looks a lot different than my 18 volt cordless DeWalt screw gun and Dremmel kit...

Where do you put the sandpaper?
While it's spinning, you throw it at the pipe. ;)

I've got a bad case of tool envy :p
Congratulations and best of luck with it!
Mike.

MichaelM":b0b4lmdv said:
I've got a bad case of tool envy :p
Congratulations and best of luck with it!
Mike.
If it ever shows up... :roll:

So get this story: It was scheduled to arrive yesterday between 10-2. I explicitly asked to be called during that time 15-30 min ahead so I could be home because otherwise I'd be away from work half the day. (Why would anyone expect to be free for 4hrs is beyond me.) The noted it on the delivery info.

2pm came and went, still nothing. I thought maybe they were late so I called around 4 at the main office (which is about an hour away, btw). They said they would get a hold of the driver and to stay on the line. The guy came back on and said the driver arrived at my place around 3:45, knocked on the door and rang the bell, but nobody answered (duh). He waited 20min then left.

I said, "In that time, I never received a call. I made a note about this." The guy said it's cause the driver doesn't speak good English and was uncomfortable calling. :x

I told them to reschedule me ASAP as none of this was my fault. They are supposedly coming back on Monday. Hopefully this time they call, but if not, really, what am I supposed to do? :roll:

So what other projects do you envision yourself doing? Seems overkill for several pipes per year.

I don't believe overkill is possible when acquiring pipes, tobacco, or tools.

tslots":d0p4a5ek said:
So what other projects do you envision yourself doing?   Seems overkill for several pipes per year.
It might be, though from what I've read, it goes sort of either way--some carvers would have ultimately liked a slightly larger machine (e.g. Nate King, on his blog), while others think that instead a 9x20 is plenty for everything, especially if they tend to rely on shape-then-drill.

I'm sort of in between. There's something about a larger machine that makes me feel much safer, as strange as that sounds. I've had more than a couple things get thrown from the Grizzly before I got the 2-jaw chuck, as well as the awful chatter that the compound imparts. Can't tighten it any further, so I did what I could.

MichaelM":d0p4a5ek said:
I don't believe overkill is possible when acquiring pipes, tobacco, or tools.
I'm an overkill kind of guy! :twisted:

Anyway, it finally arrived today and I was able to get it in the garage, but I did not take it out of the crate yet. Tonight will be inspection of the shipment, assembling and leveling the stand. I don't know how far I get, but I wanted to be able to turn something before the weekend. It's been about a week since I did any briar butchering and I'm getting withdrawals. :p

Got lots of work done yesterday! Here it is on the stand, waiting to be leveled.

Next to the little brother.