New TWSBI Diamond 580 ALR

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Yup...first new pen in quite a while. It’s a big ol’ TWSBI Diamond 580 ALR. The AL (Aluminum) has the polycarbonate body instead of the lexan (acrylic) and the metal internal parts instead of plastic. The R designation indicates that the section and other metal trim pieces are a matte nickel look with very fine engraved concentric rings which on the section provide excellent grip. I ordered mine directly from TWSBI and chose the 1.1mm Stub nib option (which adds $5 to the cost). I paid $65.

Every TWSBI I have is a wonderful pen. I love the clear demonstrator thing, I love the absolutely huge ink capacity (2ml), the piston fill, the #6 size JOWO nib. I understand that TWSBI is planning to release the ALR in different colors. Exactly what parts will be colored, I have no idea. It’ll fun to see.

I do not have any demonstrators. Not even those colored see-thru Pelikan's. Kind of always thought they were pretty cool though. Enjoy! Looks like a nice ink.

My first pen was a TWSBI Eco with 1.1 mm nib. I love it, writes perfectly every time. I did, however, leave it at my Moms house last time I visited there so hopefully it hasn't gotten lost. I do need to get a smaller nib for it as it is hard to write small. I keep looking at new pens but never actually get any lol, I need to discover a hobby that is free!

-Dan

How do you like the 580 for size? Do the ridges on the section irritate your fingers at all? The next TWSBI bought will probably come from Mark Bacas at NibGrinder.com —I would like him to grind a reversible architect or reversible cursive italic. Love how the demonstrator body really shows off your ink. Mine currently has Rohrer & Klinger’s Salix sloshing around.

Adam

The pen is supposed to arrive today. Other TWSBI pens of mine (both regular & mini) produce no irritation for me & they all have pretty much the same section design. But I am not prone to irritation from any pen’s physical design.

For comparison photos, you can easily find them via google.