New...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music is life

Reaction score
I'm quite new to pipe smoking... I have tried some of my friends (GuitarMyFriend) tobacco, he's got a decent collection, but I'm looking to buy my own, and while he's shared his secrets with me, I want to pick up some of my own. I have and enjoy Captain Black Cherry, and he told me a good place to start was with aromatics. And I want to work my way into different types and flavors of tobacco. He told me, he came here asking for suggestions and got great advice, I would like to ask the same of you all... If you have any decent aromatics in mind please let me know.
Tad

MisterE":wnsinw0w said:
Welcome!!

You wouldn't happen to be a jazz musician by chance? I mean Tad Jones. It's almost Thad Jones! 8)
don't jazz musicians smoke something besides tobacco out of their pipes? :drunken:

Tad:

Welcome to BOB! check out some older posts, lots of suggestions! something to note: lots of opinions, and everyone's tastes are different. we use the acronym YMMV -- your mileage may vary. you have an even better resource in guitarmyfriend: a friend that smokes a pipe. split tins and try twice as much new stuff!

Pick up a tin or two at first and get used to the pipe, learn how to sip it nice and slow so you arent getting gurgles and are keeping the temp down to prevent tongue bite.

When one is apprenticing to become a blacksmith, after teaching you about fire, your master gives you a hammer and some mild steel. "Make me 8 feet of chain," is his command, and by the time you get to the end, you have mastered the forge weld and become tenfold more efficient with your work. Pick up a nice big tin of carter hall or prince albert and smoke your way through, and you will learn a lot about our pastime and how to enjoy it. My two cents. YMMV.

BOY! Don't you go asking for suggestions!!! I got you covered. I'll get him started on some lower stuff... Him and I will definately be buying in bulk together though. He's been going at it for a while with me. There was a point where he and another bud were over almost every night, depleting my tobacco source. But they're pals, so what the hay. I kinda got him started on what started on... He's doing good, got the packing down, got the lighting down, just needs to learn NOT TO BLOW INTO THE STINKING PIPE!!!!!!
Zach

Welcome to the BoB forums Tad! :) Aromatics don't agree with my body chemistry, so I can't help you there.

My shortllist of "if you don't like these armomatics then you don't like aromatics"

Boswells
Christmas Cookie
PA Dutch Treat
Berry Cobbler
Chocolate Creme
Spice and Nice

Pipeworks and Wilke
Rum Cake
Maple Cavendish

4noggins
Essence of Vermont
Three Blind Moose

McClelland
Town Topic
Mellow Mack

Planta
MM7

I'm quite certain of the fact Mr. GuitarMyFriend has a batch of Town Topic at his disposal. Don't let him hold out on you. 8)

Actually, a lot of us believe that aromatics are a bad place to start, but if you'd like some recommendations along those lines let me first ask you a question: Do you smoke cigarettes or cigars, or are you a newbie to tobacco in general?

To be honest, Bro jj, I don't think it's that a lot of us think it's a bad place to start, it's just not the only place to start. If they're gonna smoke a pipe, and get into it, they'll find their way, sooner or later. Even if they stick with aros. 8)

Personally, I'm glad I got away from them, as they all started tasting the same: sweet. :pale:

Yea...we pipesmokers ain't sweet! We're a surly and cantankerous lot, see!
1061862256.gif

It's funny, but when I compare even the sweetest pipe tobacco to shisha, or more extreme, some of the sweets I enjoyed as a child, but find revolting now...I dunno...pipe tobacco never seems all that overwhelmingly sweet. At least not to the degree that you see in some of the tobaccoreviews.com review descriptions that make it sound like that pipesmoker's experience was akin to sucking on rock candy. :roll:

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being something that has no sweetness, and 10 being pixie sticks, the sweetest pipe tobacco I think I've sampled was probably a 3 1/2.

Poor Storm_Crow, still trying to shed this undeserved association with Aromatics. :lol:

Hey, Connecticut Yankee could not be created by a guy exclusively into Aros. :p DEEEEEEELICIOUS!

The sweetest tobacco I tried was that ghastly Villager 1888, which was and still is burning cupcakes. I think that stuff was solely created for wives of husbands who smoke pipes.

8)

Lane 1Q..the only aro I usually "recommend". Smoked it very early on and it was easy to find and work with...good luck!

Yeah Kyle... he wishes I still had some Town Topic! You see, I switch it up. I'm able to enjoy aros and others. I personally just LOVE tobacco. They all taste good to me... Besides Altadis Rootbeer... Ugh...
Zach

Just finished. I am going to be buying some more C&D Junkyard Dawg. I fell in love with that, and the Boswell Maple, even though the first time I smoked it, I felt my tongue catch fire...
Zach

Well, between the two of you getting into the 'bacca, I'm jealous--I don't have any close friends who are as into the hobby as I am. Well, except here. :lol:

You guys need to put together some sampler packs from the larger pipe/tobak websites, methinks.

8)

Pipefriends don't just materialize from ether on their own. They are converted!

Among my friends, where once there was 1 pipesmoker, there are now 5 :)

...6 if you count the guy who abstains under his wife's threat of castration should he take up the hobby. :affraid:

I am obviously in a tough crowd of folks. I have worked hard to convert no less than eight (non-imaginary) friends and I think only one will really "get it."

8)

If Mickey Rourke can look tough smoking a churchwarden I'm sure you can pull it off. 8)