Newb review - Davidoff Flake Medallions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
I was gifted some of these by a very generous person and decided to make it my first non-aromatic blend to try - glad I did.

Not sure what to expect, I folded and shoved one medallion into my Bjarne billiard, scorched, then re-lit. I had an experience that I can equate with an non-wine person trying a GOOD wine and being able to detect and understand the different tastes all those wine snobs have been talking about.

First tastes are of grass on the tongue and leather way back on my upper palate. Taking slow long draws, I'm enjoying it and thinking I could get used to this! Then a touch of nuttiness worked in. The scent coming out of the smoke is of a very mellow cologne - have to see what wifey says. Then bam! the perique (I guess, from reading about this stuff) hits and there's pepper on the back of my tongue. Pleasant for a bit, then, just as I've had enough of that spiciness the cavendish starts sneaking it's way in and sweetening the smoke. This one smoked a little on the wet side for me - I'll have to pace myself better next time. Oh, and although at times I found myself chugging away at the thing, I didn't catch any tongue bite.

It was great until the last puff, when, in my gluttony, I sucked in a bunch of ashes from the spent bowl - not used to stuff that smokes all the way down to ash!

Nice review, this blend is one of my all time favorites.

You're a pretty good salesman. I'm going to have to try some.

Just wondering - how does P. Stokkebye bullseye flakes compare to the Davidoff?

Flake Medallions is great stuff, one of my favorite blends