newb with a new pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
I just received my new TSUGE Kaga smooth bent brandy today. What a nice little pipe! I pulled the stinger and stuffed some Robert McConnell Oriental in it and am enjoying a nice slow break-in smoke. So far I'm really enjoying this pipe. I think it will be a nice addition to my small stable of briars. I've got three Savinellis and the Tsuge now, along with a couple of MM corn cobs. I think that I now have enough pipes to be able to properly rest them if I only smoke one pipe a day.

Kim

Pics or it didn't happen. (But glad you're enjoying your imaginary pipe brother)

Congratulations on the purchase! :cheers: :cheers:

Sounds like a pipe I'd love to see! ;)

I'm also a fan of allowing my pipes to get a good rest between smokes.

Fraternally

Jers

Imaginary pipes make up a majority of my collection, Kaiser, so quit hatin'. Hater.

I had the humbling fortune to have a Brotherfriend (who shall remain anonymous) send me a Tsuge Kaga. It needed a little work on the draft hole as I anticipated a few problems, but after 30 minutes, holy wow, the pipe can't be made to smoke wrong, now. The briar has this nutmeg-sweetness to it unlike anything I've smoked.

I hope your Kaga performs brilliantly. And, of course, pictures. :D

8)

pipes002800x533.jpg
.photobucket.com/albums/hh35/raggedclawskm
pipes004640x427.jpg
/pipes001720x4802.jpg[/img]

Here are a couple of pics of the Tsuge. I'm still working on posting a pic of my briar collection (4 pipes in all).

Kim

pipes001720x4802.jpg

And here's the whole collection minus the corn cobs. The three in back are Savinellis.

Kim

That TSUGE is one nice lookin' pipe ! Here's what looks to be it's inspiration, a Charatan 4651X Banker. :p

T2eC16dHJHIE9nysfBZFBQLn-BccuQ60_121.jpg

I like those bent "squat brandy" shapes. The fact it's a sitter is appropriate for that shape... sitters are cool, provided they work with the shape and aren't just a flat spot on the bottom of the pipe. :lol: This one really shines in this configuration. Smoking my Kaga right now in its honor. :D

8)

That Tsuge is very very nice! Ive seen a few of them from that line, that I really like.
Im kinda on a mission to collect Canadians/Lovats and Pokers, but I might have to grab one sometime.
BTW, how do you like that Baronet? I love mine (320 shape). They are really awesome pipes, with nice big bowls..

greasemunki85":v75vy2a4 said:
That Tsuge is very very nice! Ive seen a few of them from that line, that I really like.
Im kinda on a mission to collect Canadians/Lovats and Pokers, but I might have to grab one sometime.
BTW, how do you like that Baronet? I love mine (320 shape). They are really awesome pipes, with nice big bowls..
The Baronet is probably my least favorite pipe at this point. The wide bowl seems to burn hot, especially with my vapers. Since I'm a newb, the problem may not be with the pipe, but instead, with my packing and smoking techniques. I haven't given up on the pipe, but I haven't learned to smoke it well yet.

Kim

ragged claws":nwu7gce8 said:
The Baronet is probably my least favorite pipe at this point. The wide bowl seems to burn hot, especially with my vapers. Since I'm a newb, the problem may not be with the pipe, but instead, with my packing and smoking techniques. I haven't given up on the pipe, but I haven't learned to smoke it well yet.
Try a more complex ribbon cut English or Oriental blend in it and see if that is more to your tastes. C&D Star of the East or Oriental Dusk come to mind.

Dave_In_Philly":k8vra74z said:
ragged claws":k8vra74z said:
Try a more complex ribbon cut English or Oriental blend in it and see if that is more to your tastes. C&D Star of the East or Oriental Dusk come to mind.
This + Great pipe!

Dave_In_Philly Try a more complex ribbon cut English or Oriental blend in it and see if that is more to your tastes. C&D Star of the East or Oriental Dusk come to mind.[/quote said:
Squadron Leader and McConnell's Oriental are much better in the Baronet, and I'm thinking of dedicating this pipe to only those kinds of blends. I do like my Dunbar though and wish it would smoke better in the Baronet. I don't really have enough pipes in my rotation yet to dedicate one to a particular tobacco but at the rate I seem to be buying pipes, that shouldn't be a problem much longer. :)

Kim