Newbie checking in.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillikus

Reaction score
Well it is finally time that I join the brotherhood. With any luck tomorrow I will be making a trip to Boswell's pipes to purchase my first briar pipe. Been working on a corncob for a while now and finally have the spare coin to buy a nice pipe.

I lived in Chambersburg, PA about 3 miles from Boswell's, for two years and finally went in there when I was moving out of town. Its about an hour drive but I will be up there anyways tomorrow. I have tried their Boswell's best and Cherry Smash blends and hope to pick up some Northwoods and maybe something else that tickles my fancy, along with a pipe if they have one that catches my eye. I'm thinking a bent apple or similar. If you have any suggestions for a noobie please don't hesitate. Thanks for all of the info you supply here. Kudos

Edit:
I guess I didn't really introduce myself very much so here is a bit about me. Currently I'm active duty in the Navy as an Information Systems Technician(Computer Geek). My wife and I have two wonderful children and we are actually going through a Surrogacy agency to be surrogate parents for a nice couple. Should be a really neat experience and yet another pregnancy means I'll need to pick up pipe smoking to deal with a pregnant wife :) Only kidding. Hopefully finances will smooth out and I'll be able to submit to my PAD and T(obacco)AD(not sure if that is an official acronym yet but now it is). Thanks for reading.

Welcome hillikus! Take a look around, there are a bunch of good suggestions on good pipes for the money.

Although I've been smoking a pipe on and off for a few years, the past month is the first I've really taken it on as a hobby. I've got a few pipes I inherited from my Grandpa, and then a couple briars I've bought for myself. I've just recently started to venture outside the world of 'drugstore' tobaccos. Mostly enjoying English blends, so far.
As long as I'm checking in, I might as well ask a couple questions that have been proving bothersome:
How long does it take to develop a good cake on a new pipe?
And also, is it common for a new pipe to have a horrible horrible wretched f@*king horrible taste at first? I have one brand new pipe that tastes great, and another that cracked the second day I had it and has produced the most foul taste imaginable.

gilgawulf":v7fwfw59 said:
Although I've been smoking a pipe on and off for a few years, the past month is the first I've really taken it on as a hobby. I've got a few pipes I inherited from my Grandpa, and then a couple briars I've bought for myself. I've just recently started to venture outside the world of 'drugstore' tobaccos. Mostly enjoying English blends, so far.
As long as I'm checking in, I might as well ask a couple questions that have been proving bothersome:
How long does it take to develop a good cake on a new pipe?
And also, is it common for a new pipe to have a horrible horrible wretched f@*king horrible taste at first? I have one brand new pipe that tastes great, and another that cracked the second day I had it and has produced the most foul taste imaginable.
Though rare it sounds like you might have purchased a pipe with a bad flaw from the start. There could have been an undetected large fill on the inside of the bowl and the pipe could have already started to burn out. The foul taste your are experiencing could be the burning briar. Clean the inside of the bowl thoroughly and inspect it to see if you can notice if the wood itself is actually burning. If it is an expensive pipe I would take it back or contact the manufacturer/carver. All in all my guess is the foul taste is burning wood.

Welcome to BoB, and thanks for your service to our country!